Water wisteria wilting like crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a water wisteria plant for a few weeks now, and during this time, its leaves have constantly been dying and falling off. All that's left is the top 4-5in on leaves. I suspect I either don't have enough light for the plant (2/3 wpg) or the salinity of the tank is too high (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.)

From what I've been told, Wisteria can survive even with a regular lightbulb. That is one of the reasons I bought this plant before I bought flourescent lights.

I just kept adding a teaspoon of Leaf Zone (plant food) each week right after the water change, and the things are growing like a weed.

I found that the leaves do like to have light directly on them.

I'm having better luck with these and the Money Worts (although they grow soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow) than with the Mondo Green Grass plants.

Also, I don't know if Wisterias can tolerate salt or not.

My wisteria is growing well under 2.2wpg of CF light. I also use Excel and DIY co2 though.

Ferts consist of 2 doses of Flourish a week.

a lot of people say wisteria does well in low light, but I've never had luck with it under 2wpg.

it may be lacking light, the salinty sure won't help things...but if its new, it could be changing from emersed to submersed growth. IF the leaves are very broad and thick, that's emerged growth.
ahh, found a photo of emersed growth for you to compare: http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/wysteria2.jpg

The leaves on mine look a little more delicate than that. I decided to start phasing out the salt, from what I've read on this forum, it's not really needed anyway. I read online today that the bottom leaves tend to fall of in low light conditions, so I suppose I'll have to shell out the cash for a PC light strip.

They do very well in low light, just as long as they get the maximum exposure to it. Try putting it more directly in the light and you may notice a difference.

Also, is there any salt or medication in the tank? These can also affect plants. Don't know if it affects Wisterias in particular though.

Well yeah. there's salt in the tank, but as I said...I'm phasing it out with my water changes. No medicines though, unless you count the dechlorinator I use for my waterchanges as a medicine.

Back
Top Bottom