Watermchamge question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodisgermanshepherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 72 gallon with a Rena xp3, and a power head plus co2 set up 2bps. Planted fair amount of plants. I tested my water tonight and it was perfect. It could have been a little higher in the nitrates (I am starting to show some signs of BBA) would you still do a PWC or just fill the tank with the new water?

That's a fine nitrate level. Under 10 ppm and I start to worry about it.

BBA is usually caused by a CO2/light imbalance more than any inorganic fertilizer. BGA, on the other hand, is caused by low nitrate.

Can you give some more detail on tank setup? I would be particularly interested in lighting (type, not watts), fertilization regimen, and method of CO2 diffusion.

aqua_chem said:
That's a fine nitrate level. Under 10 ppm and I start to worry about it.

BBA is usually caused by a CO2/light imbalance more than any inorganic fertilizer. BGA, on the other hand, is caused by low nitrate.

Can you give some more detail on tank setup? I would be particularly interested in lighting (type, not watts), fertilization regimen, and method of CO2 diffusion.

First what's the difference between BBA and BGA?

I have 2 t-5 one is natural white 6000k one is roseate 650nm

If I remember I dose flourish comp at 9pm.

Co2 diffuser is a glass up-aqua although it seems like it lost some of the water in it.

Jodisgermanshepherd said:
I have a 72 gallon with a Rena xp3, and a power head plus co2 set up 2bps. Planted fair amount of plants. I tested my water tonight and it was perfect. It could have been a little higher in the nitrates (I am starting to show some signs of BBA) would you still do a PWC or just fill the tank with the new water?

You should always do water changes. When water evaporates only water vapor is lost. All the elements and built up DOCs remain in the tank. Water changes, filter maintenance, a normal light schedule, careful feeding and fertilizing are essential to fighting algae.

CorallineAlgae nailed it!! I would stick to a regime of PWC's despite what the readings tell you. No harm can be done by performing WC's. You never said if the set-up was new or established?

Back
Top Bottom