Weird ph problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank: 17g rimless
Inhabitants: 1 betta

Co2 injection
Lighting: 3 watts per gallon at least from buildmyled

Today's readings: ammonia 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 2
Ph 6.5
Kh 0
Gh 180

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412786023.517778.jpg

We've noticed a persistent cloudiness. The tank has been running with plants only for the last two months we added ghost shrimp a few weeks ago and they died. Did a big water change and let it run again, ended up with an unexpected betta and he has been in the tank for a whole week. I think she shrino died from the shock of ph change from one of our tanks to another. We took for granted they would all be a similar ph since they all use the same tap water.

I've noticed he seems lethargic so we are doing a rescue mission and drip acclimating him to one of our other less toxic tanks with fry (I think they're big enough that he can't hurt them)

Our water is usually very basic and very hard. Ph is usually around 8. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412786350.290373.jpg that is a look at an other tank tested on the same day with no co2 injection and fully stocked.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412786436.416251.jpgthis is from our 180 with similar lights and co2 injection.

My question is... Why is this 17g so weird so suddenly?

Sent from my iPhone

The ammonia in the 20 long is probably because I added 6 cory cats at once and started a mini cycle. And the nitrates are a constant thing in the 180g.

Sent from my iPhone

What filtering the 17?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When did you take the ph reading in the 17g? Ph is lower during the hours CO2 is running. If you want to know the tanks non-CO2 reading do your ph test in the morning before your CO2 is turned on. It might be higher than you think.

Are you using a liquid Gh-Kh test kit? If your Kh is 0 and your tanks non-CO2 Ph is low then you need to add a buffer as you want your Kh at least to be 4. That level will also keep your Ph stable.

Something else to remember is that its very common for a tanks ph to drop at the end of cycling. Usually a large water change will get levels back to normal. Also if ph drops below 6.5 biological activity slows. If ph drops to 6.0 or below biological activity stops and BB can begin to die off. So the tank could be having a bacterial blooms which will cloud the water which can last from hours to days or in rare instances weeks.

Back
Top Bottom