Wendtii melt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a red wendtii that all of a sudden started melting. It was really strange. A soft spot would form on the leaf which would turn to a transparent green then it would rot the leaf.

I was using Excel and potassium, but I stopped. The damage is continuing though.

I was changing 1 gallon of water a day last week and then 4 gallons yesterday to try and halt it if maybe there was too much water in the water. So over the course of the week I changed out about 10 gallons of my 30.

Have you heard of anything like this?

melt.jpg

why did you stop dosing potassium?? plants need it.

how long has it been planted?
did you recently move it?
did you recently disturb/damage the roots in any way?
what kind of lighting?
substrate?

root tabs in use?

I stopped dosing all ferts once this started because that was the only recent change besides adding co2.

Its been planted for about 8 months, but the red wendtii has been there for about 2 months. I have not moved it or done anything near its roots. 2 normal 20 watt fluorescents in a 29 gallon. Using the "lightning rod" bulbs (1 daylight, 1 plant).

No root tabs. Eco complete substrate.

I added potassium yesterday after the water change.

This is commonly referred to as Crypt Melt. All Crypt varieties are known to have it happen. Normally it is triggered by a sudden change such as moving the plant or otherwise damaging it. Occastionally it just happens out of the blue with no apparent cause.

Remove the affected leaves and place root tab under it. This will help it to recover. Even if it looses all of its leaves it may still come back healthy and strong. Just give it time and before long you'll see lots of new leaves.

Fertilizing is a good idea, and I would recommend returning to using it. More than likely the timing of your starting to use it and the Crypt Melt are completely unrelated.

Back
Top Bottom