Westeria decaying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Jebo units come with 50/50 bulbs.. no good for plants.. and $16 a bulb is alot more than the $4-5 for NO's and less NO's are getting used 2 $4-5 bulbs is $10 at most..
Your fixture uses 4 $16 bulbs.. thats $64 in bulb replacement.. sounds like you have a disposable fixture.. pardon the analogy.. and can you get 6500K 55watt CF bulbs for $16
From my reserch I havnt even seen a 6500K 55watt PC bulb...65watts yes..

I haven't seen 6500K bulbs in 55, but there are 7100K and 8000K. I personally like the look of a 10000K and an Actinic (not a 50/50 combo bulb). All 10000K bulbs make the tank a little too bright. And if you look around, you can find the bulbs for fairly cheap. They aren't as costly as they once were. Still you are right, they are more expensive than NO, but they don't come with the safety warnings that ODNO comes with. I'll stick to CF and continue to recommend it if one can afford it.

Also of note, you can put a 65 watt PC bulb in a 55 watt fixture. They are electrically the same.

wabyrd said:
Also of note, you can put a 65 watt PC bulb in a 55 watt fixture. They are electrically the same.

I would make sure the ballast is rated to handle the extra wattage..

And the warning that comes with ODNO is caused by things other than actuall danger.. its a little complicated..
NO bulbs have a lifespan.. the companies that make them will not advertise that they will last less then this.. they would sell less bulbs.. period.. businesses will not buy them for the same price if they have to calculate the replacement cost of the bulbs as being more.. so ODNO is doomed to be a DIY project instead of commersial products that can actually advertise the lower life expectancy of the bulb.. Its really all about $$$$. If it could become a comersial product then it could be a UL tested product to ridd it of the warning.. As such the situation as it is, it can not..

But continue to advise the CF if you wish.. it is another option.. though its overpriced.. the Jebo being one of the few exception of that overpriced rule.. but the bulbs do need to come down in price in my oppinion..

What is the lifespan of an ODNO bulb? I know it's shortened considerably? If you have to replace it every 6-9 months (as i've read on other sites) then the cost of the bulbs once again becomes similar to that of CF since CF bulbs usually last 20-24 months. Sure it's a bigger investment, but one that is well worth it.

I don't consider the fixture disposable, just a good way to keep me buying CF bulbs.

I would make sure the ballast is rated to handle the extra wattage..
It doesn't have to be. The ballast only supplies 55 Watts.

The life span is dropped to 12 months if you cool them..there is a little temperature loss but some people have ran them 24 months and noticed very little improvement in color temperature from the new lamps....
And CF bulbs run a little hotter and that is what causes them not to last.. heat..

The bigger bulbs will draw more energy from the ballast but most likely the ballasts are the same.. at the price there selling them at to be honest with you they might be sicking a couple of the ballasts that is used four T-8's in it.. The bulbs might be underpowered anyway.. Id have to see it to belive it for that price..LOL..

Does your 70 have a canopy? My plan for my upcoming 75 gallon is to use 4 40 watt non-overdriven shop lights. The whole setup should be under $60 at home depot and will last for years. Right now I have my wisteria in a 20 gal with 15 watts and it grows like mad. What is your substrate? Mine have their own pots with my "special blend."

Apocalypse_Gold said:
Does your 70 have a canopy? My plan for my upcoming 75 gallon is to use 4 40 watt non-overdriven shop lights. The whole setup should be under $60 at home depot and will last for years. Right now I have my wisteria in a 20 gal with 15 wpg and it grows like mad. What is your substrate? Mine have their own pots with my "special blend."

I personally thought about going with 4 NO's but the ODNO will save me some space since I dont have a canopy.. I would have to build one.. and 4 NO's is barely 2wpg and doesnt have much punch.. your probably not going to be able to get a carpeting plant to grow with a NO setup on a 75 from the depth of the tank.. A single striplight that is OD'd will give alot more punch with only 2000 less lumens... ie about the same as 3 NO's.. this will be enough for the plants I want to keep.. I am going for a bio-tope that has very few available plants and they have low light requirements.. otherwise I would get a 2 or 3 bulb striplight and get a ballast for each bulb....the bulb replacement it so much cheaper right now it would be worth it in my book..

i bought 2 more lights at the hardware store for 3 dollars lol

total wattage is 120

about 1.7 wpg. thats enough

GIMojo....You got the fixtures for them as well for that 3 dollars?... and Im assuming your talking 3 dollars for each bulb.. and 1.7 wpg is enough for low light plants...
I was trying to save you $$ in the long run with only 1 bulb to replace.. and not have to buy any more fixtures.. but go for it..

Back
Top Bottom