What am I actually doing right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Anubias nana has been in my tank for maybe four weeks. It already has a new leaf! I'm very proud as I hear they are slow growers and I have low light and no ferts. Could I actually be doing something right or pure luck? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like it's doing just what it should be doing -- growing. :)

They're slow growers, yes, but you should expect to see new leaves every few weeks or so. Hopefully it starts sending up flowers too!

Whoo! Yay! Thanks!

They are indeed very slowgrowing :) but as my colleague stated: a few leaves/week is not rare with this plant! But for a low-tech tank it's fine i guess! If you want to induce more growth you can always chip away some bad-looking leaves.. This will encourage the plant

Cool! Just one last question- the baby leaf is a lot lighter in color and has a different shape. Will it revert back to normal?

This is perfectly normal! New leaves are always a very lively green, it will turn green over the week. Also the leave will kerp uncurling untill it's spread out! So no worries ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Perfect! Thank you! I must admit when I first saw the leaf rolled up I thought the plant was dying. :)

Haha i always find it fascinating when my anubias barterii grows a new leaf

So there appear to be little versions of the new leaf attached to many of the stems- do you think these are leaves or flowers?

Please excuse the anarchis

These are the places were Previous leaves were grown! It's the way the plant grows :) i think the become pretty useless once a leaf has come out of it, but i do remember one growing a flower after a leaf had grown out.

Back
Top Bottom