What am I missing for succesful plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having a hard time getting my plants to go "gang busters". My tank equipment is in my sig. I thought I had covered all my bases, but since things are growing well I must have missed something. I have been fertilizing twice a week with Flourish, which seems to help, but the plants must not be taking advantage of all the nutrients, because I keep getting green water. I have been keeping GH @ 4 and KH @ 3-4.I do 20% water changes once a week. What steps am I missing for succes? The tank is moderately stocked all my fishes are in my sig as well. I want to add some more plants, but before I do I would like to get this mess sorted out. Thanks in advance.

JamesMJ2...

You don't mention what kinds of plants you have so it is a bit difficult to answer your question. With 96w of light on a 46 gallon tank you're right in the 2wpg range which puts you in the low- to moderate- light range. If you're trying to grow high-light plants then that might explain a lot.

Whoops. I thought I had put them into my sig. I have two baby tears, one anachris, one amazon sword, and one micro sword tuft.

The baby tears, Micranthemum umbrosum is considered a medium- to high-light plant. The swords, Echinodorus, are mostly medium- to medium-high light plants. Perhaps you've got just enough light to keep them living but not enough for them to thrive.

No. I don't have a regimen for dosing nitrate or phosphate. As for adding more light, How much more do I need? Right now I am a hair over 2wpg. I don't want to stress fish with too much light. I was also thinking of adding some Flourite red to my subtrate mix. Do I need more CO2 as well? The system I have is only rated for 20gal. tanks.

Are You dosing Flourish Iron 3x per week? And adding Potassium to your water changes? Usually fish waste and excess food will take care of nitrates and phosphates.
You'll need at least 2.5 watts per gallon for those Swords. Three wpg would be better and it won't stress the fish at all. They don't care. At 2.5 watts plus you'll need pressurized CO2 which will really help jump start things, but that definately raises the ante in money and time needed to check you ph and kh levels etc. You might ask Rex about a great source to dry dose potassium to your water changes. I saw a really great deal on a Milwaukee "All in One regulator/solenoid/ bubble counter" at the aquatic-store.com for $79.00. Of course you would need a tank with CO2 as well (welder's supply) and maybe build a DIY reactor or buy one to get into CO2 on the cheap. Well, nothings free in life these days.

I've ordered a D1 Vortex diatom filter to supplement a moderate green water problem I am battling. $65 bucks for the D1. Or you can use a HOT Magnum with micron filter to help with GWA. One needs Lots of fast growing stem plants to keep various algae problems in check, so I have read. But they need plenty of light to grow fast. No more than 12 Hours of lights too. I've had good luck with Wisteria and Green Hygro growing too fast.

I would be careful not to overdose the flourish products. It so easy to do when you want to "help" them grow. I've cut back on Iron 50% for now till I get my GWA in check and my tank back in balance. HTH

Pssst betowess. I borrowed a diatom filter from madasafish the other day cause I also had a HUGE algae bloom in my 55g. Amazing! Within 1 hr I could see my fish again; I think you'll be thrilled with the results. I took some before n after pics: http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/algaebloom

Course, this tank is not a planted tank (although it has a few live plants in it) which is likely part of the prob; my 2 planted tanks have never had an algae bloom.

Another thing is that the swords are heavy root feeders and might benefit from a root tablet, but it is likely you do not have enough light for them. If you try hygro and wisteria they will grow much better for you, and use up a lot of nutrients without requiring the higher light.

Psst. What is a psst. Is that a feline sound. Hmm.

Well, diatom update here... Big WOW!! Just like I thought. On a little 26 gallon about 20 minutes and whamo, Done. Couple of hours overkill to pick up any extra nasties I could shake loose of the plants. It was too late of a nite for sure.

I did a major H2O change before to help as I'm trying to drop my PH to fight the nasty black brush algae as well. Rex suggests 30ppm CO2 will control it. Knowing Rex, its gotta be true.

After reading CC's post from Aquabotanics, I think the 350 magnum is probably a little bit easier to charge. But like you predicted Ali, the results are indeed thrilling. Squeecky Clean water. YAHOO. :D

Back
Top Bottom