What am I missing from this setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
60 gallon planted community.

I'm running T5 he 1 6700k Daylight bulb and 1 10,000k daylight bulb. I have sand/fluorite substrate mix.
I dose liquid Co2 and Aqueon plant food. Also I use API root tabs around all the plants.
For filtration I run an AC70 and a fluval 405 canister.
I heat my tank to a steady 78F although right now I've raised my temp to 84F for an ich outbreak.

Anyway that's my setup.
My plant stock:

Maybe a dozen amazon swords
Elodea
Anacharis
Java moss Although it's starting to take over my tank.
Anubias
Wisteria...

Fish stock
Congo tetras 4
Severum gold and green 1 of each
Pictus cat
2 clown loaches
Gold gourami
Tiretrack eel
Plecostomus

Note: I will be rehoming the eel, Pictus, and possibly the Pleco.

(Any ideas for algae control?)

The reason I'm posting this is because I want to start to get heavily planted with some more advanced plants. For example crypts and tiger lotus. Also I'd like to maybe get a carpet in my tank because I don't really like the way the flourite looks.

Anyhow am I missing anything for a transition into going majorly planted?

greetings.

you say you want more advanced plants, most crypts and even the tiger lotus aren't more advanced really, and they sould be fine in your tank.
however, if you actually do want more advanced plants i'd recommend a third light bulb.

What type of algae problems are you having? Also how long are you running your lights daily? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? The reason for all these questions is depending on the algae problem you could be running lighting too long. Usually 6-8 hours is all that is needed in a planted tank. I do agree that you need some other type of lighting if you want to get into higher light plants and carpets. Plus when you go into getting more plants and higher lights you will have to increase your liquid carbon daily or go to CO2. You will also need to go to a better dosing plan using dry ferts, which are also more economical anyway. As mentioned above you can do crypts and a Red Tiger Lotus now.

@Nereksnad Thanks I was thinking of adding a reptile UV light? I've heard of aquarists using that to beef up their lighting.

@Rivercats I think I'm gonna order some red crypts and a few tiger lotus. Anyhow can you give me An example of what a dry fert is? I thought that root tabs were dry ferts. I'm probably wrong. I'm having a little bit of hair algae. But it's nothing out of the ordinary. Plus I have the API master kit. But I don't think it has any way for me to test phosphates.

@Nereksnad Thanks I was thinking of adding a reptile UV light? I've heard of aquarists using that to beef up their lighting.

@Rivercats I think I'm gonna order some red crypts and a few tiger lotus. Anyhow can you give me An example of what a dry fert is? I thought that root tabs were dry ferts. I'm probably wrong.

I would not suggest using reptile lights for your aquarium.

As for ferts I use Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums this package deal which has everything you need.

I suggest using these dosing bottles as they make dosing very easy... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I dose PPS-Pro and here is a good thread about how to mix the ferts and dosing with them. You only need to read the openning post for the info you want. You will also need a digital scale to weigh the ferts with. Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

How long does that batch of ferts last for you Rivercats?

Thats hard to say since I run a high phosphate-low nitrate tank and use alittle extra micro mix I run out of things at different times. If I dosed everything equally at the recommended rate a fert pack might make it a year.

Thats hard to say since I run a high phosphate-low nitrate tank and use alittle extra micro mix I run out of things at different times. If I dosed everything equally at the recommended rate a fert pack might make it a year.

Haha, 20 bucks a year isn't bad.

Thats exactly why I use it plus its a complete fert system unlike liquid ferts.

Now I'm sure it would last longer for me with only a 20g. If you use these ferts is there any reason to use excel?

Now I'm sure it would last longer for me with only a 20g. If you use these ferts is there any reason to use excel?

Excel aids in photosynthesis and growth. It's different from ferts but also helps the plants to utilize ferts in the water better. So you need both.

aqua_chem said:
Or you could step it up to a pressurized CO2 system.

Yeah but for now I'm just using a liquid Co2 supplement. Do you use a pressurized Co2 system?

@Rivercats thanks for the fert pointer. That thread was very helpful. $20 is a steal. Although I've noticed a lot of new growth on all my plants. So are root tabs not ferts? Or do they serve the same purpose as plant food? I use both.

Back
Top Bottom