What are some low-maintenance plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I'll definitely have to check that. I can't imagine that my hood is would be able to handle super high wattages. I came across one that might be a good fit, but it's only 31 watts. Would this be ideal for some low light plants?

Okay I'll definitely have to check that. I can't imagine that my hood is would be able to handle super high wattages. I came across one that might be a good fit, but it's only 31 watts. Would this be ideal for some low light plants?

Check watts and Kelvin ( spectrum )

I use 6,500K or near that for my tanks.

31 watts is ok. The issue is partly how tall your tank is. Mine are all 10g or less so light penetrates to bottom easier.

If that's what you find, try it and try some Java Ferns. Easy stems for me are Ludwigias or Bacopas. Those might work also.

Well it's a 29g, so it's 18" high. I'm not looking to have a jungle in there. Just som java moss, java fern, and maybe a couple other plants to mix in with the fake plants

Okay cool. The main reason I want it is to attach to the driftwood so it can grow and fill in some of the upper areas of the tank. But I may also place some in the more empty areas of the tank

Well I've been doing some online shopping, and the more I look around the more I realize I'm going to want more than a little bit of java moss in my tank. So I think I'm going to go with a whole new lighting set up. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the T5 HO fixture though, I may go with a DIY set up with some lamps housing a couple of fluorescent bulbs, at least for now.

I was the same way haha. I was planning on getting just a couple.....now once it grows in it'll be a veritable jungle :3

Yeah the more I think about it the more I want to just go all out. But the money issue is what's keeping me from doing it. I have the money, I am just trying to refrain from spending it. One day I'll get a bigger tank and make that my "all out" tank, but I don't want to do it on my 29

I get what you mean. Look on the classifieds here, or post a wanted ad.....I got a good deal on a lot of stems that are way more expensive elsewhere. Or you can look on Craigslist too I bet, then there's no shipping worry. And I agree that the clip on lights sounds like a good deal.

Well I've been doing some online shopping, and the more I look around the more I realize I'm going to want more than a little bit of java moss in my tank. So I think I'm going to go with a whole new lighting set up. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the T5 HO fixture though, I may go with a DIY set up with some lamps housing a couple of fluorescent bulbs, at least for now.

I think for a 29 this would be perfectly fine. As I said before I'm doing this on a 55g and my amazon sword is growing like crazy (it's really taken off once I got root tabs). But as I said before my tank is open top and that's why this works for me. I actually like the look of an open top tank than one with a hood. Water does evaporate quicker is the only down side to it.

There are acrylic and glass tops that might help alleviate the evaporation. I have a hood that works just fine for me, so I don't have personal experience. Acrylic does warp under heat though, so it depends on how close your lights are for that......

I'm going to look around, if I can find a good piece of glass to set on top I'll use that. If not then I might just leave it without a cover

I'm going to look around, if I can find a good piece of glass to set on top I'll use that. If not then I might just leave it without a cover

I would only do that as long as your fish don't jump. If you have fish that jump you will need a cover of some sort for sure.

I would only do that as long as your fish don't jump. If you have fish that jump you will need a cover of some sort for sure.

+1 I have heard so many horror stories about fish jumping on here haha.....personally I'm sticking with hoods for now.

Back
Top Bottom