What are the essentials for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you need a CO2 system, how do you fertilize them, what special lighting do you need, etc...

Depends entirely on how far you want to take it. Low light tanks just need standard lighting and small amount of ferts. High light tanks will need co2, special lighting and a fert dosing method using preferably dry ferts.
You need to decide how much you'd like to spend on it and go from there

Keeping a Planted Tank

Do you need a CO2 system, how do you fertilize them, what special lighting do you need, etc...

Hello cb...

CO2 isn't needed. A couple of florescent aquarium bulbs from the hardware store and a little liquid aquarium plant fertilizer is all I use for my planted tanks. I just add a capful of the liquid to the replacement water.

Pretty simple.

B

All good advise above! Just keep in mind some plants are heavy root feeders so root tabs would be a good idea as well!!

Depends entirely on how far you want to take it. Low light tanks just need standard lighting and small amount of ferts. High light tanks will need co2, special lighting and a fert dosing method using preferably dry ferts.
You need to decide how much you'd like to spend on it and go from there

+1 best answer!

There's such a vast variety of plants that fall into three basic categories: low, medium, and high light. Medium to high light needy plants really need CO2 (or liquid carbon) and a comprehensive fertilizer regimen to have a successful and healthy planted tank system.

Since you're new, go with low light and low light tolerant plant species. Research is key.

thanks and i try to do as much as possible thats why im on this forum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would start with low light plants, get some success with those, and work your way up from there.

Honestly, I have some very beautifully planted tanks that I don't have anything special going except the lighting.

My river tank (55g) has a Coralife dual bulb CFL 55watt 6500k fixture

No CO2, no fert regimen (because I forget to dose) the only thing I really did was add a layer of Flora Base between layers of regular gravel.

My 115g angel tank, the same thing except the lights are standard 48 inch fluorescent 6500k bulbs that you can pick up anywhere.

Most of my tanks are like this actually, but I'm only going to show you the two I mentioned here.

Attachments

• 55 river.jpg
    55 river.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 64
  • angels2.jpg
    angels2.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 68
Honestly, I have some very beautifully planted tanks that I don't have anything special going except the lighting.

My river tank (55g) has a Coralife dual bulb CFL 55watt 6500k fixture

No CO2, no fert regimen (because I forget to dose) the only thing I really did was add a layer of Flora Base between layers of regular gravel.

My 115g angel tank, the same thing except the lights are standard 48 inch fluorescent 6500k bulbs that you can pick up anywhere.

Most of my tanks are like this actually, but I'm only going to show you the two I mentioned here.

very nice very helpful info im going to plant soon ill post some pics up as i go (y)

Back
Top Bottom