What are these plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duckdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Also on the sword looking one after a week why such a difference its lost its green luster? I am a complete newbie at this and bought them for 5 bucks at a local store getting out of plants. I have a 55gal tank stank 2 flo's that came with it a hob whisper 60 filter and water temp a constant 81 I just added my diy c02 today

Thanks Guys and Gals

Attachments

• plant1_506.jpg
    plant1_506.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 38
  • plant1l8tr.jpg
    plant1l8tr.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 37
  • plant2_160.jpg
    plant2_160.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 57
The feathery one looks like hornwart to me. As for the sword, are you dosing any ferts...what wattage is your lighting. Also, that substrate looks like epoxy gravel, not the best thing for root feeders like swords. My main guess is low lighting, that tank looks pretty dimly lit.

The first pick could be anacharis. To hard to tell with the lighting. The third looks like a rubin sword. Not sure about the second but they all look like they are lacking Potassium.

From the first picture the plant looks like some type of Cabomba but the pic isn't really up close on it. You can tell by the amount of seperation between the leaves on that first stem that is sticking out towards the front of the tank and the tips of the stems are red near the surface of the water.

He said he's got teh stock lights for the 55gal, which means 2x20 watt tubes, so under 1wpg.

You basically have hardly enough light to grow java ferns, let alone sword plants or about anything else out there.

Unless you can triple the lighting this week, you can expect all the plants to wilt and die.

Wattage is low yes just stock 30 watts total but the sword is greener today :) I guess the co2 has helped the plants have been in the tank for a couple of weeks and the (hogwort)? has tripled in size my ph is 7.0 it was almost 7.5 before the co2 my kh I am not sure I plan on getting a couple more test kits today I hope. I would also like to say thank you for all the answers on all my post topics here you get such a variation of answers I love it and you people are so very helpful :) I am going to look at a local market today for some lights if not I may just go the home depot route

Nelson

hmm. i dont think the co2 would do anythinhg because the plants wont really use it until theres enough light?

http://www.lucidcentral.com/keys/appw/nonkey/html/opening_page.html

I came accross that page last night. I downloaded the Lucid software needed to use the "Key". It is a pretty neat tool, it shows pictures of various aspects of your plant (leaf, stem, color, etc). You click the pictures that match the plant you are trying to ID. In another window the "list" of possible plants that match those traits begins to shorten. You can click on any of those plants and see pictures of them.
I was able to identify several of my mystery plants. For example I now know that I have some Hottonia palustris (Water Violet) growing in my tank.
It looks like this site, and the software were set up for use by US customs agricultural inspectors. All in all a pretty nice site.

Back
Top Bottom