What are these things on my leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
These are new plants from an online seller. Anyone know what the black growths on the backs of the leaves are? Hopefully not a parasite. :-/
TIA

image-2194417861.jpg

They don't seem to move. They are attached pretty well but can be peeled off. I'm wondering if they're some kind of egg casings?

I'm not sure what it is. It might be some sort of cocoon for a terrestrial insect.

I vote remove one and dissect it.

Any chance you can get a closer and/or clearer pic? Maybe one take out of water on a light background?

I'm thinking they might be caddisfly casings.

Caddis flies are winged insects that have a larval/pupae stage underwater. They build a rectangular casing that travels with them. Prior to the pupae stage they attach the casing to a fixed object before completing the life cycle.

I don't see why not. However, I cannot tell from the photo if they are still present. You could always remove one, open it carefully and see if anything is present.

Fresh2o said:
I don't see why not. However, I cannot tell from the photo if they are still present. You could always remove one, open it carefully and see if anything is present.

They're so small, about 3/16 in. that I don't think I can open one without destroying whatever is inside. If I see something hatch I'll let y'all know. ;-)

Hard to say from the picture but I would be inclined to lean towards some type of pupae casing as well. Caddisfly is a reasonable guess, but they could also be a casing for any of the various types of diptera as well. That said, in most cases since the adult forms are terrestrial rather than aquatic most pupae cases should be fairly close to the surface. I'll be curious to see what you end up with.

Well thanks everyone. I'll report back if I see anything hatch. Just glad they aren't a threat to fish. :)

I know this doesn't pertain to this tread but I can't reply to your message util you delete some of them but I'm interested in the fish

Back
Top Bottom