What are your favorite background plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone,

I know that one of the most common background plants are Amazons. Do you have any other favorites that you could suggest that would be easy to grow for a beginner?

Thanks-D

How much light do you have? Higher light will give you more options. Is there a particular look you're going for?

How much light do you have? Higher light will give you more options. Is there a particular look you're going for?

I have 2 T5s. I guess I'd like to have something that is more fern like. I have a couple of Amazons and then one plant (creeping Jeni or something like that) that is getting really stemmy at the bottom with all of the nice growth at the top. I'm open for ideas; this is my first planted tank.

Cryptocoryne balansae and retrospiralis might be good options. They're both crypts, so they're fairly low maintenance/low demand.

Cryptocoryne balansae and retrospiralis might be good options. They're both crypts, so they're fairly low maintenance/low demand.

Thank you. I'll Google those as well. My LFS has a very nice selection so I'm sure that I can find them at their store.

Hydrophila corymbosa! It's the background plant in my tank. I also added some giant hairgrass to the sides and I think that would be a great background plant too

Attachments

• image-432835037.jpg
    image-432835037.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 112
Hydrophila corymbosa! It's the background plant in my tank. I also added some giant hairgrass to the sides and I think that would be a great background plant too

Wow, your tank is beautiful!!! I'm going to need to write down the scientific genus of these plants. There's no way I can remember their names...

Most LFS can order most of the plants you've had suggested so far too.

Yes, I bet they can. I actually had my 36 gal bow front ordered by my LFS and I picked it up there. I ordered a glass top and then got the lighting separate also. They're really a great help to a novice like me. But, so is this website and all of you people on here. Very helpful. Thank you. D

Yes, I bet they can. I actually had my 36 gal bow front ordered by my LFS and I picked it up there. I ordered a glass top and then got the lighting separate also. They're really a great help to a novice like me. But, so is this website and all of you people on here. Very helpful. Thank you. D
It's always nice to hear good complements about a lfs. All to often it's bad.....

It's always nice to hear good complements about a lfs. All to often it's bad.....

Yes, they're great. There are only two in Colorado Springs and both stores have owners who are very knowledgeable and willing to help. They seem to be more interested in seeing us succeed ( I have a community tank & BF has African cichlid tank) than just making a buck. We need all the help we can get. As I mentioned, this forum has been a huge help as well. I always seem to come up with more questions as I go along. Thank you-D

Yes, they're great. There are only two in Colorado Springs and both stores have owners who are very knowledgeable and willing to help. They seem to be more interested in seeing us succeed ( I have a community tank & BF has African cichlid tank) than just making a buck. We need all the help we can get. As I mentioned, this forum has been a huge help as well. I always seem to come up with more questions as I go along. Thank you-D
Yeah that's the beauty of this forum, we get to share our knowledge, opinions and suggestions.....

Wow, your tank is beautiful!!! I'm going to need to write down the scientific genus of these plants. There's no way I can remember their names...

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with it, its a work in progress still, just like all my tanks haha

It's hard for me to remember the names too, took me several months and several times re-looking up plants in google to memorize what I have and whats readily available near me haha

Corkscrew Vals, I think.

This could be due to the fact that I haven't had much success with most background plants other than it >.>

Back
Top Bottom