what can I do with the baby java ferns on the end of the plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to aquariums, had my 36g for about 2 1/2 months now and I planted 3 java ferns in it about 3 weeks ago (they are attached to rocks). some of the leaves have baby ferns growing on them, what can I do with the baby ferns? If i trim them do I do it in the water or take them out of the tank? how long does it take for the roots to attach to the rocks? for the time being the plants are attached with thread.

I'm wondering the same thing. The advice I've been given on here was to either let them free float until they attach themselves to something or you can tie/superglue them. But, let someone else with more experience chime in on this, as I'm new to plants.

What I did back when I had java ferns and what I read you should do is wait until the main leaf starts looking old and tattered which means it is ready to drop the daughter plants. Then trim it, pull them off the leaf and plant like a regular java fern. :)

So, trim the adult leaf all way to the root? will THAT one grow back? Kind of a dumb question, I know.

Well, from what I've read the leaf will start dieing so you'll just trim it to the root. The plant should still grow new leaves but I don't think that particular one would grow back.

so they will fall off the main leaf and just float around my tanks? the fish won't eat them? will they float at the top, toward the bottom or just where ever?

They eventually fall off, and sometimes float but mine always sink. The way I know they are ready is I just look at them, they should start to have some kind of roots coming off the rhizome. The other thing that tells me they are ready is they should also detach fairly easily if you pull them away from the leaf.

bobc4d said:
so they will fall off the main leaf and just float around my tanks? the fish won't eat them? will they float at the top, toward the bottom or just where ever?

Mine pulled off easy and just sank. So I left them, they should grow onto the decor by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom