What carpet plant would work for my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 108 watt fixture. The substrate is about 60% gravel, 20% onyx sand, and 20% flourite. My water parameters are all normal, pH of 7, minimal nitrites and nitrates, and a temperature usually around 79 degrees. It's is already pretty heavily planted and stocked, but there are still a lot of empty spaces especially in the foreground where I'd like to grow a quick-spreading carpet plant. I've already tried dwarf baby tears, but they pretty much just withered away (which I'm guessing is because they struggled to root in the dense gravel). Is there any carpet plant that could work for me in this situation?

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 108 watt fixture. The substrate is about 60% gravel, 20% onyx sand, and 20% flourite. My water parameters are all normal, pH of 7, minimal nitrites and nitrates, and a temperature usually around 79 degrees. It's is already pretty heavily planted and stocked, but there are still a lot of empty spaces especially in the foreground where I'd like to grow a quick-spreading carpet plant. I've already tried dwarf baby tears, but they pretty much just withered away (which I'm guessing is because they struggled to root in the dense gravel). Is there any carpet plant that could work for me in this situation?

Dwarf baby tears are hard to grow. I've failed miserably growing them too. Have you thought about trying dwarf hair grass? I think you've good lighting. Good lighting and co2 will give you a nice carpet of dwarf hair grass.

That is not much light for ground cover. But if you are willing, the best way is to start over and do a semi submersed. Start with Eco complete and plant say baby tears, fill the water to the top o the gravel, cover the tank with plastic and let it sit until it is where you want it then finish filling the water. You might loose some but most of it will do well.
If this is not an option, use mats of whatever type you are going for. They seem to do better in larger clumps

Dwarf baby tears are hard to grow. I've failed miserably growing them too. Have you thought about trying dwarf hair grass? I think you've good lighting. Good lighting and co2 will give you a nice carpet of dwarf hair grass.

So can dwarf hair grass spread successfully in thick gravel?

So can dwarf hair grass spread successfully in thick gravel?

I think it depends on how big the gravel is. If it's small gravel it should be ok. I've never tried it in gravel. I'm using sand substrate and I'm seeing good result.

Back
Top Bottom