What chemical filtration should I use...if any?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw this in another post and wanted to pick some brains. I'm coming to the realism that AC is not really needed in planted tanks. I know this but still use some. My question is; when stacking my trays for my canister filter, what should I use for chemical filtration if anything at all? My ammonia, trates, trites are all close to 0. Phosphate is low too. Do I need any or can I just use some sort of filter floss? I can really save some $$ if I don't need anything. I can always add more bio tho. Any thoughts?

To answer your question simply, you do not need chemical filtration in a planted tank long term. Short term if you are removing meds or have a tanin issue, but not more than a few days.

Thanks! Thats kind of what I'm gathering from this site. I've just used it cuz it bacame a habit I guess. Trying to save $$ and if I don't need it, I'd rather do without. I'll just keep an eye on my tank parameters.

Yes. AC is known to remove harmful inorganic waste, odor, and disscoloration from tannins (from driftwood). Chemical filtration, in general, removes ammonia, trites, trates, phosphate (just to name a couple). Your biological filtration (bio ball, ceramic rings, etc.) usually takes care of these things, but sometimes we need something more to rid them when they are in excess, hence chemical filtration. If your tank parameters are in check, chemical filtration can be avoided. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom