What color temp light looks/is the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 175w Metal Halide that I will be using over my planted tank. I am not sure what color temp bulb to get for it. 6500k? or should I get in the 10000k to bring out more color?

I've heard that spectrum doesn't influence plant growth very much, or at least we can't be sure how much based on the rating on the bulb. However, I've always heard that 5500 to 7000 looks the best.

Ok so the 6500k bulb would do well. I have been out of the freshwater hobby for so long I forgot everything about lighting. In reefs we use 20k lights to give the blue spectrum thats good for coral color. I know its not the same for fw

Ok so the 6500k bulb would do well. I have been out of the freshwater hobby for so long I forgot everything about lighting. In reefs we use 20k lights to give the blue spectrum thats good for coral color. I know its not the same for fw

Yeah. It's very different of course although interestingly many LED planted lights come with a moonlight setting that is about what you'd see on a reef tank I think. I don't use them, I find it too unnatural, but they are pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom