What did I get myself into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as most of you know I did go to a heavier plant mass, today I did a thorough pwc on my tank (lifting THR, moving driftwood wood that has anubias attached to it etc etc) lifted out a piece if driftwood that has a slate base (was so nasty under it) this is an absolute NIGHTMARE to vac thoroughly, also I didn't know flame leaf swords were supposed to be shallow planted with the crown exposed so I lifted that plant up a bit as well as the other amazon which I shouldn't of touched Cause its growing good, but I lifted it gently as well.. hope I didn't ruin them, but HOW do you planted tank owners vac I can't go deep cause I'll uproot plants, I do shallow but I feel I'm not getting enough gunk out of the substrate.

In five years I think I vacuumed zero times. Most of the time the substrate was not visible in my setups. And uprooting plants resulted in a cloudy, yet temporary, mess.
I suppose if you have areas that are free of plants and roots, you could vacuum those spots. I think of detritus as plant food.

In five years I think I vacuumed zero times. Most of the time the substrate was not visible in my setups. And uprooting plants resulted in a cloudy, yet temporary, mess.
I suppose if you have areas that are free of plants and roots, you could vacuum those spots. I think of detritus as plant food.
Ahh so no need to pull the big slate mounted piece of drift wood out? Cause it was a nightmare with all the other driftwood with plants attached that are intertwined to that piece, I will have to just add more plants lol.

You could also just place the siphon tube over the gravel and not necessarily "gravel" vac... just get the loose stuff off the surface by placing the tube gently onto the gravel surface. The rest will decompose deeper in the substrate and release plant available compounds.

"Old tank syndrome" could be a thing with massive amounts of mulm building up... SO if you're seeing lots of crud building up in slower moving spots, make sure to vac that crap out!

You could also just place the siphon tube over the gravel and not necessarily "gravel" vac... just get the loose stuff off the surface by placing the tube gently onto the gravel surface. The rest will decompose deeper in the substrate and release plant available compounds.

"Old tank syndrome" could be a thing with massive amounts of mulm building up... SO if you're seeing lots of crud building up in slower moving spots, make sure to vac that crap out!
I have 2 aquaclears on the tank a 110 and a 70 on opposite ends, I think I'm going to get a small siphon to get in the hard to reach areas.

That's what I normally do around the plants is a gentle top siphon, and in spots where no plants I go to the bottom, I should of took the slate base off but then nothing would hold it upright, I knew there was buildup under the base so I wanted to get that spot really good, don't have to do it again for a while and I'll find a easier way to do it next time because there will be no way I'll be able to pull It up again with how good my plants are growing.

Nitrates drop to 10-20 after a 50% pwc after adding ferts goes to from what I can tell 25-30, going to order a different nitrate test kit that was mentioned in my other thread cause I just can't decipher the difference in oranges/reds.

A turkey baster or similar device could be used to dislodge debris from the surface of the substrate so that the filters can pick it up.

Rick
Small Fry recently posted a video of an aquarium shop located an San Francisco whose owner claims to not have conducted a WC in any display tank for 25 yrs. His tanks were heavily planted with a very thick substrate. It's worth viewing.

Rick
Small Fry recently posted a video of an aquarium shop located an San Francisco whose owner claims to not have conducted a WC in any display tank for 25 yrs. His tanks were heavily planted with a very thick substrate. It's worth viewing.
I know i saw that, I was like wow

A turkey baster or similar device could be used to dislodge debris from the surface of the substrate so that the filters can pick it up.
Good idea, I was thinking a 20 ml syringe I have for ferts I don't use with a piece of air tubing on the end to stick under the gravel in the tight spots and forcing air under to dislodge the dibris. Turkey baster even better ty

Back
Top Bottom