what do brown holes in the leaves mean again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i cant remember where i saw the thread to do with plant "sicknesses". one of my plants has a couple small brown holes in a few of the leaves. i am sure this is a nutrient deficiency but what one? thanks in advance.

well after browsing through those i would also say it was a potassium deffiency. thanks purbox!!! but i dose floursih trace twice a week, do i need more ferts? i really didnt want to get into the ferts that much. what casues low potassium? not a high enough bioload? thanks

Potassium is not a naturally occuring nutrient in the tank.. by that I mean,

Fish produce nitrates, Co2 (to a small degree) and Iron.
Fish Food produces Phosphates

But you have to add potassium.. It's not included in large enough doses in any trace mix.

FWIW, I recently added a large sword that began deteriorating as described in your post. I removed the dying leaves and began dosing potassium. Within a couple of weeks, the sword recovered and all the other plants perked up as well.

mr funktastic,

I have the same situation in my tank, but its only on my java ferns. These were from a local LFS and not in the greatest condition when I got them. If you bought them this way with the holes already present I don't know if they can "heal" even with the proper nutrients. In my java's I'm slowly cutting off these leaves when enough other healthy leaves are present so that I don't harm/slow its growth too badly. If its something that just cropped up, however, it very well be a nutrient deficiency that you want to catch RIGHT NOW. You definately need to dose Potassium since it is a macro nutrient, is not supplied high enough by trace products, and BEST of all, really cannot be dosed too high within reason (I've heard 20-30ppm is common). This is one of those perfect nutrients that you can always be sure is in ample supply and never think twice that it might be causing problems in the tank.

As mentioned if your low bioload, or high light, potassium nitrAte is the best option since you'll be dosing 2 nutrients you need in the tank at once (instead of using something such as potassium chloride that dumps salt into the tank that is unwanted). If you have an ample bioload or low/medium light (so your nitrAtes are already in a good range, like my tank), find another potassium additive so that your nitrAtes don't get too high for the fish (I DO use potassium chloride since my tank has ample supply of nitrAte from the fish waste).

Now a minor threadjack......

Wizzard~Of~Ozz,

Thanks for the reply. I had thought I might possibly have an iron deficiency in my tank since I am dosing a fair amount of nutrients...But I have a relatively high bioload, so my iron concerns are gone (couldn't measure it, and was afraid to dose it since I've heard this is a very easy way to cause an algae outbreak).

I'm still kinda stumped on my end. I had an unknown floating plant that did great for 2 weeks, then slowly it started to turn completely pale (not quite glassy-like, but pale white), then the edges "burned" (curled and turned brown). Some of the plant then started to melt and I decided to pull the whole plant out for fear of causing other problems. My wisteria is growing crazy from the original plant, but any clippings I cut off and attempt to regrow are not flourishing (the outer portions of these clippings are starting to curl a bit and brown).

I dose calcium, phosphate (this one is too high right now at 3.5ppm), potassium, Magnesium, and have a high bioload so my nitrAtes are always above 10ppm (and apparently iron as well from your post). I also dose twice weekly with Flourish, have DIY CO2 injection, and do weekly water changes of 25%.

My light level for now is sporadic (17 watt NO tank light, 13 watt CF hanging off the side, and direct sunlight for about an hour a day or so), but that will be alleviated this Thursday/Friday when I recieve my new 65watt CF hoodlight! Then I'll probably have problems due to the high light condition.

Thanks,

justin

i love when people hijack my threads becasue it is normally related to my post in the first place so i end up getting more questions answered lol. i currently have 2 15 watt t8 bulbs over my 20 gallon which is enough light to grow what i have but i was am just finishing a diy lighthood which has 4 24"t8 bulbs that are 20watts a peice giving me high light. i am dosing flourish trace right now and i am wondering what else i am goign to have to start dosing to keep the algea away. i have the hagen co2 system right now and it seems to be doing a good job. any idea?

Well, with that much light, you very well might need to dose nitrAte if you have fast growing plants. I'd also keep your eye on the CO2 readings during mid-day. I'm wondering how well that Hagen will work when you have that much light. Nice thing is, worst case scenario, you can make a DIY CO2 setup and attach it to the in-tank diffuser that comes with the kit. Other than the potassium, magnesium might need to be dosed, and depending on how soft/hard your water is, calcium.

Has anyone in canada dealt with greg yet? And if greg cant ship to canada has anyone asked malkore were he got his dry ferts (he got his before he knew about greg), I think I remember him saying somthing about getting them from a nursery supply store of some sort, maybe he could help you guys out in who to contact localy.

I emailed greg, he has no problemshipping to canada. He was very willing to help with the shipping difference between the guesstimate and actual. Seems like a nice guy that is trying to help the hobbyist. I should be placing an order within the next week. so I will be sure to post how it goes. I'm a little concerned about the ingredient list.. Might have people in uniforms delivering it.. (KNO3 is salpeter, an ingredient in most bombs and gunpowder)

I'm a little concerned about the ingredient list.. Might have people in uniforms delivering it.. (KNO3 is salpeter, an ingredient in most bombs and gunpowder)

ohh a new supplier for my other hobby lol jk :lol:

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I emailed greg, he has no problemshipping to canada. He was very willing to help with the shipping difference between the guesstimate and actual. Seems like a nice guy that is trying to help the hobbyist. I should be placing an order within the next week. so I will be sure to post how it goes. I'm a little concerned about the ingredient list.. Might have people in uniforms delivering it.. (KNO3 is salpeter, an ingredient in most bombs and gunpowder)

Greg is a great guy. I ordered all my dry ferts from him and he accidentally sent me CaCO3 instead of KNO3. I emailed him and he sent out the KNO3 absolutely free. Can't ask for better customer service than that!

Back
Top Bottom