what do i do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is a pic of some of my plants in my tank. I have a 100 gal. tank with two 65 watt cf bulbs, gravel, I only have root tabs for ferts at this time and was wondering if ya'll can tell me what else i might should do to help my plants look better

Attachments

• 100_1259.jpg
    100_1259.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1260.jpg
    100_1260.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_1249.jpg
    100_1249.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1243.jpg
    100_1243.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 46
The tank looks good. The bubbler may deplete the water of CO2, but other than going higher light and injecting CO2 removal of that would be the only thing to really come to mind. Liquid ferts are an option, but balancing plant growth with algae outbreaks is always a fine line.

thanks HN1, I would like to eventualy do Co2 injection and upgrade my lights. I have little holes in the leaves of some of the plants and then the black stuff on the leaves of the anubias that I would like to get rid of if i can.

ACtually, if you aren't injecting CO2, the bubbles will be good. That will make sure your tank stays at least at equilibrium with the air. The aeration only becomes a problem if you are injecting CO2.

From your pictures, I would say the first plant appears that it might not be getting enough light. If it is algae, you can scrub it off with a soft bristled brush, like a tooth brush. The java ferns and crypts look good. If they start to get black spots or holes, you can just remove the old leaves and make room for new growth.

My suggestion would be to think about adding co2 injection to the tank. It makes a tremendous difference, even in a low light setup like you have there.

Mom, a DIY co2 system is easy and super cheap, most I spent on it was the price of some line at the walmart and a check valve, total of 4 bucks spent the rest I had here.

Tough to do effective DIY co2 on a 100G tank. Not impossible though. You can get by with less, but the rule of thumb I have heard is ~1 2L bottle per 10G of water to maintain a good steady ~30ppm CO2.

Mom, a DIY co2 system is easy and super cheap, most I spent on it was the price of some line at the walmart and a check valve, total of 4 bucks spent the rest I had here.

I have been told my tank is really to large for a diy system I think I would have to have too many bottles.

Thanks fort for the suggestions I guess i will start working on my husband and start trying to save up my money to try to get a Co2 system.

That looks like some type of algae I had on an anubia I put it in a bucket with a triple dose of excel and let it soak for a couple of days. It came out looking great. It won't help the green color but it will get rid of the algae.

Others have had good luck with hydrogen peroxide to clean the leaves.

Kis Kis= Keep it simple. I too us a simple airstone en pump for my planted tank. That with once a week 20% water changes and a little plant food makes my planted tank a happy tank. I also us a coat hanger to airate the roots every now and then. Like using golf shoes to walk on your lawn while mowing, lol.

i would start with a couple Siamese Algae eaters. make sure they are SAE and not chinese or flying fox. the holes in the leaves suggest a potassium deficiency. you can still add a diy co2 generator to raise the co2 levels. it might not be sufficient for a medium or high light tank but your's is low light and it just might be enough to stop the algae from growing. it will still raise the co2 levels higher than what they are now. i have just 1 2liter bottle on my 40 gallon tank and it most definitely makes a difference.

i would start with a couple Siamese Algae eaters. make sure they are SAE and not chinese or flying fox. the holes in the leaves suggest a potassium deficiency. you can still add a diy co2 generator to raise the co2 levels. it might not be sufficient for a medium or high light tank but your's is low light and it just might be enough to stop the algae from growing. it will still raise the co2 levels higher than what they are now. i have just 1 2liter bottle on my 40 gallon tank and it most definitely makes a difference.

Thanks i might try that, and see if i can get some potassium to add, I will also try the excell dip for my anubias.

Thanks

I have been told my tank is really to large for a diy system I think I would have to have too many bottles.

Thanks fort for the suggestions I guess i will start working on my husband and start trying to save up my money to try to get a Co2 system.

possibly, but if you got room for two 5g water jugs go for it. I just reinforced my tank stand and cut the entire back of it out to accomidate my jugs, my mistake was measuring for a 5g jug instead of the 2 64oz ones I am using. Oops.

I wish you luck, but if you are strapped for extra cash like most humans right now, think about it, it might be a possibility and if you need 5gallon jugs lemme know I dont charge for the jugs just shipping.

Back
Top Bottom