What do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinthos26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this hobby and for my first 10 gallon tank I want to keep the plants really simple. I'm planning on getting just a java fern and a couple moss balls. So what will I need to keep them healthy? Do I need to buy fertilizers or CO2 booster? If so what brands would you guys recommend? I do plan on getting shrimp so I need to look out for copper.
Also I would like to attach the fern to a rock. Will any rock do or do I need to get a lava rock or something like that?
Any kind of help would be appreciated! thanks guys!

As for frets and co2 not required for these low light plants but the do help with growth you might need a little better lighting depending on what the stock light wattage is. For the java fern any rock will do just use cotton string or fishing line to attach wait about a month and then you should be able to remove the string. Also remember to turn your moss balls every once in a while to provide light to both sides. Good luck and have fun with it.

Welcome to thy hobby. Those plants are really easy and un-demanding. I'd still dose a little seachem flourish once or twice a week as directed. You can even dose a little Seachem Excel (or co2 booster, which is similar). Just don't overdose the excel because it can harm the marimo moss ball. Also be careful of using random stones with shrimp. Some can alter the water chemistry, making it tough to keep/breed shrimp. Driftwood might be a better idea, like Malaysian or manzanita, unless you know the type of stones you're using for your hardscape.

Watch how long you keep your lights on. 10 hrs is a good. As mentioned turn the moss balls and keep a look out for any wierd hair like algae that may grow on them. Moss balls can be evil. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the info! I am so glad I asked because I didn't realize you need to turn the moss balls. I think I'll just buy the seachem flourish for now and see how that goes =]

Ok, then the best time to dose would be after a water change. One a week. If you start to see an increase in algae growth after a few weeks of dosing flourish. I would add excel to the list. Just remember what Brian said don't overdose excel because it could hurt the moss ball. Shouldn't harm anything else. One type of stone to avoid with shrimp is lava rocks. Some have chance of shooting your TDS lvl's threw the roof! I just almost broke a nano down because I couldn't for the life of me figure out why this tank had TDS around 330! Finally figured out it was the lava rock in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

TDS??????

Total dissolved solids. You can buy a TDS meter to measure your water. They're pretty inexpensive. Most shrimp prefer a TDS around 200. The TDS my tap water reads is like 500+. Therefore I know I have to use RO/DI water after in my shrimp tanks to bring it down.

Thanks! Did not know that. Will look into that, my Red Cystals quit breeding, maybe that s a factor??

Thanks! Did not know that. Will look into that, my Red Cystals quit breeding, maybe that s a factor??

Yeah, it's very possible. Gh, kh, and pH are also important -- especially for CRS. They hate CO2, too.

What size tank are the CRS in?

They re in a 50g. Had them in a 29g & since I moved the tank to the 50, no babies & had a couple of deaths.

They re in a 50g. Had them in a 29g & since I moved the tank to the 50, no babies & had a couple of deaths.

Okay .. well the tank size is fine. CRS are tough to breed in tanks <20g. Is it cycled? If so, try adding Purigen to filter. Also check those parameters I mentioned.

TDS 200 or less. The pH should be around 6.2 - 6.8, gH 4-6 and kH 1-2.

Mmmmm.... Ph is 7.8, don t know what gh & kh means . None of them have died for weeks now & the tank is totally cycled. I m keeping the phosphate at 2 & nitrates at 20 for plant health. I use glut at slightly higher rates than normal.

My apologies to the OP. I won't hijack this thread any longer. One last post in regards to shrimp keeping in relation to parameters like TDS, pH, and Gh/Kh.

Research will help you, there's a ton of articles, threads, etc. found by googling.

Here are some sources, you have homework.

http://forum.shrimpnow.com/content.php/133-Water-Parameters-pH-GH-KH-NO3-CO2

http://www.planetinverts.com/breeding softwater shrimp by kenshin.html

http://shrimpkeeping.com/water-params/

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151372

Back
Top Bottom