What do I need to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spray much more at each wc.
Was it 3% or 6% ai ? Now if you spray a shrimp may be an issue of shock.

It was 3%. After the 50% PWC again with RO was still seeing ammonia last night. Not as green but still there. I wonder if I have a bacterial die off causing the spike or if I have killed all my BB in my tank and canister. I will test again (must have coffee) and see if there has been any improvement this morning. If not I will be doing another big PWC and swapping 1/2 of the media in the canister out with media from my other tank.

The amount needed to kill a considerable amount of bb would be much more than you dosed. I dont think the h2o2 is connected to this issue.

I am stumped then. The tap ammonia is present but I thought that the Prime would detox. I found one write up on applesnail.net. That kinda explained the snail/shrimp. But why the biomedia isn't handling the ammonia is another mystery. Still ingesting coffee. If I start playing with tank before my hubbie gets up ....

IMG_8282.jpg

Here was the posting with the info that kinda explained what I am seeing.

Water test shows the ammonia is lower this morning .25. Beneficial bacteria live! When the snails reacted they let off huge amounts of slime, it was all over the glass. One shrimp is still unaccounted for.

One big PWC today and see how things go.

In the meanwhile I pulled the moss off the rock to treat out of the tank. I attached some Buce.

Sort of looks like iron phosphate precipitated. Or some kind of algae.. or both. ??

Lost 8 snails and 2 Amano shrimp. Ammonia is finally down. Fish are all fine.

I dont get it. Snails and shrimp jump on anything I spray with h2o2. Its like they love it lol.

I feel bad...but I really think its so much safer than glut. And honestly ive always had better luck with it than glut. Probably due to my fear of over dose on glut lol

Well In the future if I get the urge to use it for algae I will remove the plant and treat out of the tank. Live and learn. The majority of every bit of info I found said it was safe. Inverts beg to differ...

I have about 40rcs in mine. Hundreds snails. Ive never heard of anyone losing stock from h2o2. Some plants arent h2o2 friendly (hornwort, anarchis )

Nirbhao do you have any info on this. I know its used for egg control on new plants. Obviously killing at egg stage is much easier. Im not convinced that even works on eggs. It seems to me that the amount needed to kill healthy snails would wipe everything out in the tank way before.

I am stumped then. The tap ammonia is present but I thought that the Prime would detox. I found one write up on applesnail.net. That kinda explained the snail/shrimp. But why the biomedia isn't handling the ammonia is another mystery. Still ingesting coffee. If I start playing with tank before my hubbie gets up ....
Prime will only detoxify the ammonia and if you do a test it will still show up as a high ammonia level until you do a pwc or the bacteria have a chance to convert it.

Nirbhao do you have any info on this. I know its used for egg control on new plants. Obviously killing at egg stage is much easier. Im not convinced that even works on eggs. It seems to me that the amount needed to kill healthy snails would wipe everything out in the tank way before.

The snails reaction was to give off tons of slime. Remember I had turned off the filters so the peroxide would stay focused where I was treating. The snails had been moved from that area.

I treated while doing the water change. The water level was down 50%.

The refill water was 2/3 Ro/Di with equilibrium and Kh to remineralize. The other 1/3 was tap treated with Prime dosed 2 drops per gallon.

After the tank was refilled I turned the filter back on and the circulation pump.

This is when the bubbles started and the snails and shrimp totally freaked out.

Is it possible there was a chemical reaction with the peroxide , Prime, equilibrium, and KH buffer? Nothing was dosed higher than the min recommended amounts but perhaps the combination?

Maybe...I feel bad but also puzzled. I do mine at wc and of course prime. But have zero experience or much knowledge of equilibrium and buffers.

I have been doing some reading lately because I have had some other problems with my young snails. The survival rate has dropped. I started using Prime when I ran out of API Stress Coat in November. But I also changed over my tanks after Christmas. Shrimp are thriving but snails, not as much. I'm going to go back to API for a while and see if the snails do better.

Back
Top Bottom