What do you do with extra plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some hornwort at the LFS a while back. The stuff rapidly grew and took over my tank. I've been trimming it back during my weekly maintenance and putting the extra stuff in a 5g that I was using as a hospital tank for a gourami that was being picked on. The gourami is now better and the harassers have been moved. I want to put a betta in the 5g, but I don't know what to do with all the extra hornwort in there. Do you guys throw the extra stuff away? Give it to the lfs? What?

You can throw it away, see if your LFS will take it for cash or credit, or list it in the Barter/Trade or Classified forum. I'd probably try the LFS or posting in one of the forums before you throw it away. It's an extremely common plant, so you probably won't get much for it. However you could probably get someone to pay the cost of shipping.

be sure to check local laws on disposal of aquatic plants. in some states, anacharis and hygrophilia species are considered noxious weeds, and if you throw em out, and the law finds out, you'll be fined.

Purrbox said:
You can throw it away, see if your LFS will take it for cash or credit, or list it in the Barter/Trade or Classified forum. I'd probably try the LFS or posting in one of the forums before you throw it away. It's an extremely common plant, so you probably won't get much for it. However you could probably get someone to pay the cost of shipping.

I wasn't sure if the LFS would even take it. They sell the stuff for $1.99 a bunch to begin with. I have a lot of it to a friend of mine, but I still have a buttload left over.

PlantXchange sticky

This has met with overwhelming success...I bet someone will definitely take it off your hands. As malkore mentioned, hornwort is listed as an envasive plant in many states. Tossing it into the trash is an option but it is much better to "give" it away.

Back
Top Bottom