What do you guys think of flora max- sand mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I want to take out my gravel and add flora max and sand for my plants
Does the combination look nice and be good for my plants? I want to add 24 pounds of flora max, and 5 pounds of caribsea moonlight sand(which is the black sand) do you think the combination will look nice, or just add 36 pounds of pure flora max?
Thanks

You could use the floramax and cap it with the tahitian moon sand. I have that exact combo in my betta tank. I only have low light plants, crypts and wisteria, and a baby sword, but they are all well rooted and growing nicely.
When I put the substrate in, I did a ring around the tank against the glass in just sand, then put the floramax in the middle, spread it out and capped with more sand. That way the tank only looks like it has sand, no layered substrate look. That is all personal preference, but just a thought.
From what I recall of your plant selection for your tank, the floramax sand combo will be good, just make sure to add root tabs under those swords.

Oh, you might want to consider buying the larger bag of sand, I think its 20lbs. Use the 24lbs of floramax, and probably a good half the bag of sand to cap well. You want at least 2 inches of substrate, 3 would be better, so the plants can root down well. I dont think 5lbs would do it to cover the floramax.

I will add them to the swords also liquid ferts

Nice idea! I think that the 24 pounds of flora max will be ok, but I will need more than 5 pounds of sand to cover the flora max huh?

Ok so will 24 pounds of flora max and then 20 pounds of sand will work, or is 12 pounds of flora max and 20 pounds of sand better?

Hello, I want to take out my gravel and add flora max and sand for my plants
Does the combination look nice and be good for my plants? I want to add 24 pounds of flora max, and 5 pounds of caribsea moonlight sand(which is the black sand) do you think the combination will look nice, or just add 36 pounds of pure flora max?
Thanks

I've heard that if you mix the 2 that the sand eventually settles under the flora max and the flora max will be on top.

Oh really? So it would just be more convenient to buy the flora max, do any of you guys have pics of flora Max as your substrate?

Put 60 lbs of Floramax in 60 gal tank. No other gravel. After two days with filter running the water is still cloudy-much worse after planting and stirring it up again-any suggestions other than patience?

I use Floramax in several planted tanks.. it's a great substrate but definitely needs a pre-rinse before putting it in your scape. There's an included biomagnet fluid pack that needs to be added to clear up any residual cloudiness. Clears up in about a day or two. Care should be taken when adding water for the first time to avoid disturbing the substrate too much to kick up the finer particulates. I also find that using filter floss helps to polish your water to get it crystal clear faster.

Here's one of my tanks using all Floramax and just a bit of sand as an accent to the scape.

ForumRunner_20130725_115009.jpg

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Eco-complete just come out with a fine grain version? That might be one to check out also. Good luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom