what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you really want discus, and can handle the responsibility, wait untill you can get a 75+ gallon tank to put them, the shoal, in.

unfamous, good call on the knife fish. the problem is that, while little fish get a chance to get away in the wild from big fish, in the aquarium you are constraining them to be in a small place where they'll eventually be eaten :mrgreen: .

but, if you feel you can take care of the pwc's, go ahead and get the discus. i know i'd have done the same (only my lfs doesn't sell them). i feel you have enough dither to keep them happy. but please consult brianny, the guru, on this issue. but keep a backdoor open. see if someone local will take them from you (in case they don't do so well) and give them a good home.

OK. IMO the liklihood of raising juvenile discus to adulthood in a community tank is very slim. Young discus are much more susceptable to a variety of infections which are brought about by stress. In addition they are slow feeders and will have a difficult time getting the proper nutrients without the risk of overfeeding.

I'd feel much better about this tank if you were getting adult discus. If you want to raise juvenile discus, you need to give them lots of care and this is best done in their own tank. :wink:

well at my local fish store they do sell adult discus it is just i don't know if those are $20 because there is no price on those tanks. Those discus are in like 20 gal tanks at that fish store they look very healthy but wouldn't i be giving them a better home?

yeah, but the 20 is a temporary home for them and moving them to your tank would be nice but only to a certain point, then the 2 wouldnt be happy just by themselves and you would never get to see them act like they would in their natural environment

if you are dedicated though and really will take great care and have someone available to take them back if things go wrong then ok, but read up on all the info. you can about Discus...they are extremely fragile :D

well thanx for your concerns and if there anything else that someone wants to run by me feel free and wish me luck!

I keep adult pairs in 20s. But bare bottom and no other fish.

Back
Top Bottom