what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unfamous

Aquarium Advice Regular
well i am still not shure on what plants to get but i am working on it........ though i do know what fish i will stock my 50 gallon amazon biotope with so here it is: 2 Discus
3 Angels
10 Rummynose tetras
10 marble hattchet fish
2 common plecs
1 ornate Pimelodus catfish
2 German Blue Rams
1 black Ghost Knifefish
maybe a rubbernose pleco or a whiptail catfish

so what do you think? too much fish? bad fish combination? Anything?

I agree with LittlePuff about the common pleco and the knifefish. Instead of common plecs, how about bristle nosed ancistrus plecs? Also, avoid the temptation to get too many catfish as they pretty much confine themselves to the bottom and much easier to overcrowd.

Also, I wouldn't recommend 2 discus and 3 angels in a 50 gal. These fish grow to 5+ inches, produce alot of waste for their size, and appreciate more than average swimming space. I would choose one or the other. From my discussions with BrianNY, I've learned that discus are slower eaters and can easily be outcompeted by faster, more aggressive fish like hatchets and angels.

The black ghost knifefish could possibly end up being peaceful if given nice hiding spots and kept very well fed but it is a risky proposition as some knifefish will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. I have also heard of them sucking the eyes off of other fish. The knifefish also would greatly appreciate a larger tank when full grown.

I wouldn't get any common plecos. Maybe a clown or bristlenose but the common plecos get huge. Is the rubbernose pleco one of the smaller ones? If so go with that. The whiptail catfish should be okay. The ornate pimelodus also can get agressive with smaller fish and may also fight with your other catfish since they will be competing for the same space. So personally I would nix that.

And I wouldn't get the discus if you are set on these other big fish and so many bottem feeders. Discus really require excellent water quality to thrive and that's going to be hard to accomplish in a crowded tank with big poopers.

The only problem I see with this tank is that you are getting 3 angels.

Two of them will pair up, and pick on the odd man out. I would either get 2 (only one pair) or 4 (two pairs, thus eliminating any urge to be meanies) and keep it at that as angels can be pretty nasty customers.

Hope this helped!

I might be a bit of a discus elitist but I really dont think they would do well without at least a shoal of them, 6, and that tank isnt big enough for that many discus, 75gal+.. Second, I wouldnt put them with any other speices of fish except for maybe german blue rams and that would be for the rams sake, so that they would get the maintace and care that would be given to the discus..LOL.. Finaly, angel fish are alot more aggresive eaters then discus, you would likely have to overfeed the tank for them to get the food that they need and that would be bad for water quality and whats bad for water quality is bad for discus.. I hope this helps..

I would choose one or the other. From my discussions with BrianNY, I've learned that discus are slower eaters and can easily be outcompeted by faster, more aggressive fish like hatchets and angels.

From a book on aquarium fish i read that Discus and angel fish would be fine in the same tank because that is how they live in the wild? though the point about the agressive eating makes a lot of sense. who should i belive?

well the idea of Angels in the tank seems like a good idea but i don't think i have enough info to back that idea up so now i am thinking of not using the angels in this biotope...o well :(

The only problem I see with this tank is that you are getting 3 angels.

Two of them will pair up, and pick on the odd man out. I would either get 2 (only one pair) or 4 (two pairs, thus eliminating any urge to be meanies) and keep it at that as angels can be pretty nasty customers.

Don't give up on the idea of having Angels, you can't just buy 2 angels and have a pair, or 4 and have 2 pairs (very unlikely). Unless you buy an already established pair which is expensive. Usually to get a pair people will start with 6 and then when they get a pair, they sell the others back.

If you want to, go ahead and get the 3 angels, and as they mature, if you notice that two of them are picking on the 3rd, you can simply sell it back to the fish store. That is my plan with the 3 I have now, although they get along really good. (I started with 6 in hopes of getting a pair, but i had an ich outbreak that killed my 3 clown loaches and 3 of my angels :( ) Anyway, HTH, don't give up on the angels, they are lots of fun and fairly easy to upkeep (much easier than discus i would imagine)

Marble hatchets are very pretty fish, I used to have some.. however my suggestion is if you have a canopy lid, Id suggest not getting them because you can't see them because they are at the top so much. If it were like 50+ hatchets a 100+gal tank then I think that would look really neat. Also, marbles are kinda finicky.

In the book you read, did it say anything about the size of a tank you'd need to keep angels and discus together? I would imagine in a 1000 gal tank they would do fine together.. but in such a small space.. id go against it just because a lot of people here have a lot of experience with both and are kinda leary of the idea

Angels are wonderful fish (i have 3 total) and I would recommend getting angels. Also, discuss, from what ive read, are not for a beginner in the fish hobby. Thats not to say it can't be done, but they are also picky fish.

unfamous said:
well i am still not shure on what plants to get but i am working on it........ though i do know what fish i will stock my 50 gallon amazon biotope with so here it is: 2 Discus
3 Angels
10 Rummynose tetras
10 marble hattchet fish
2 common plecs
1 ornate Pimelodus catfish
2 German Blue Rams
1 black Ghost Knifefish
maybe a rubbernose pleco or a whiptail catfish

so what do you think? too much fish? bad fish combination? Anything?

I think when they get fully grown you will need an 100+ gallon tank and that your black knife is going to eat anything that will fit in its mouth, i.e. the tetras and the hattchets. No offense, but I would go back to the drawing table on this one...

the book i read did not say what the tank size should be and i thinkyour right they could be together only if they were in a big enough tank.

well i am not exactly a beginner at the hobby i mean my grandpa use to keep around 4 fish tanks when i was little and i learned a lot from him and i have been participating in the hobby for about a year now and i have 3 tanks and i want to test what i have learned by doing this biotope and keeping discus so i think i have found a solution to my discus or angel problem and it is to discus for thwe biotope and get some angels for my already established 30 gallon tank

i know that they do get really big buut i was hoping to sell it back to the fish store just before it gets too big

i live in L.A. too where in L.A. do you live? just to see what fish stores you go to

I'm in the middle of the city (by staples center), so I usually just drive to a Petco or Petsmart, and I get almost all my accessories online from BigAls.

that's cool i usually go to a place in east L.A. called Bobs Tropical fish becuasee that is the closest fish store. they have a lot of fish and plants to choose from. it is a small place but it has been around forever so it carriies plenty of supplies. you should try it sometime

well here is a revised list of what i want to get:

2 discus
10 rummynose tetras
10 marble hatchet fish
4 german blue rams
1 whiptail catfish
mabe some ottos and some corycats

how do you think the "maybe" fish will do?

Why do you want discus so bad? Discus thrive when they are in a shoal of 6 or more and are really expensive. German Blues also should only be kept by experienced hobbyist and alot of the time they seem to not live longer than 4 weeks. I would get the bolivian rams IME they have better personalities than t he German Blues. The black ghost will get 18" long and will not be able to make a full turn in a 50 gal. Also the dimensions of the tank would be very helpful.

i really want discus becuase i think i can handle the responsibility that comes with getting them. the fish store near my house sells young discus for only $20. i am not going to get the knife fish becuase everyone is saying not to and what they say about makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom