What do you use to measure ML's for dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bballsosh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to start dosing my plants and cant find anything that measures mililiter. What do you recomend?

Go to your local pharmacy and get a baby medicine syringe. Wal-Mart also sells them that go up to 10 ml for something like $1.

I find it easier to use the children's droppers instead of the shringes and they're just as inexpensive.

thanks guys i just got it. Just a dumb question since i have never dosed before, can i just squirt the liquid from my ferts right into the aquarium?

that what i do. just squirt it in. i will usually squirt mine into the flow from the filter to help spread it around the tank.

I use the baby siringes, the narrower the tube the better so it is easier to adjust. Just about anything will work as far as siringe, medicine dropper or pipette altough pipettes can be expensive. If you can find them, they have self measuring bottles that you just squeeze and they squirt up the amount needed into a different chamber and then dump it in.

ss

Excuse me, don't mean to hijack, but since on the subject, can all the liquid ferts to be added be mixed together and dumped in all at once? That is measure all ferts into a small container and then added to the tank. I seem to remember reading of 2 that might react if mixed, but my brain is not working yet this AM. Thanks.

I use a "Flavor Injector" syringe. It's for turkeys.

JeffreyL, you can mix anything common except Fe (which is in any good trace mix) and PO4. Lots of people dose them together, but it's best to let them mix in your tank instead of some small container.

Or you can use measuring spoons - 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml.

For anything less than 1/2 teaspoon, however, I find syringes easiest.

Back
Top Bottom