What ferts do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
M going to be setting up a 10 gal planted tank with DIY co2 I'm going to be using Eco complete for substrate. What ferts should I get?

Seachem comprehensive should be ok for a 10. I use dry ferts that are mixed into 2 solutions. It's a little more money up front but you get enough to last for years if you decide to go with dry ferts. Still, my tanks did fine with easy to keep plants for years with only Seachem comp and iron.

What kind of plants are you thinking of keeping? You can also put some Flourish root tabs in the substrate (since Eco Complete only has trace elements).

Brian_Nano12g said:
What kind of plants are you thinking of keeping? You can also put some Flourish root tabs in the substrate (since Eco Complete only has trace elements).

I'm really not sure. I want it pretty heavily planted. Any suggestions for good plants for a 10 gal that will have 30-40 watts of cfl light and DIY co2. Also what would I want for a diffuser? I've read a lot of them Only really work with pressurized co2.

You can grow a lot of plants with that combo of lighting and diy co2. You can do some stem plants like rotala, pogostemon erectus, various species of Valisneria.. Foreground plants like dwarf hair grass (E. Parvula).. Basically you have a lot of options.

I use diy co2 on my 12g nano.. I use a Fluval ceramic diffuser that works fine with diy. I've seen a lot of people also use a hagen mini elite filter mod to be a great powered diffuser for diy co2. Check out my 12g linked in my signature.

CorallineAlgae said:
Seachem comprehensive should be ok for a 10. I use dry ferts that are mixed into 2 solutions. It's a little more money up front but you get enough to last for years if you decide to go with dry ferts. Still, my tanks did fine with easy to keep plants for years with only Seachem comp and iron.

Where do u get ur ferts from?

No prob... I don't know if you have a way to measure out the powder for mixing in grams, but you can pick up a cheap gram scale on Amazon as well. A couple of other things, check out my thread I started a while back.. I was kinda in your shoes.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/is-this-a-good-source-of-dry-ferts-220517.html

Rivercats had a pretty good suggestion in added Excel to the micro solution to prevent mold.

Lastly, check out the forum in GLA... they got some helpful methods, dosing calculators, etc... on there.
Fertilizer - APE - Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts | A Planted Aquarium Community

Brian_Nano12g said:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

I got the Green Fert Pack since it contains both micros and macros. You should also get two of those dispensers as it makes easier to pre-mix and measure out doses depending on whether you're going to fertilize via the EI or PPS-Pro methods.

I use the same pack. Because I have a small tank (20H) I decided to get 500ml. glass flasks from amazon and just dose with bulb pipettes. The dispensers from GLA are great though.

I also add Excell to the fert mix for PPS-Pro dosing. It works okay for abating mold.

For EI dosing you'll need specialty mini measuring spoons (pinch, smidgen, dash) and for PPS you'll need a mini digital gram scale and two bottles for mixing.

Hello,

Have anyone used pond fertilizer spikes in a planted aquarium?

I bought one called Laguna mini fertilizer spikes from a pet store, they claimed to be safe for fish.

But it's been a week since I added them and I'm showing ammonia and high nitrates on my tank.

Please can someone tell me if it's the fertilizer or is this is just a mini cycle?

Thank you

Asahmkow said:
Hello,

Have anyone used pond fertilizer spikes in a planted aquarium?

I bought one called Laguna mini fertilizer spikes from a pet store, they claimed to be safe for fish.

But it's been a week since I added them and I'm showing ammonia and high nitrates on my tank.

Please can someone tell me if it's the fertilizer or is this is just a mini cycle?

Thank you

You'll have a better chance of getting some feedback if you post this in a separate thread.

Back
Top Bottom