What fixture for a 75g low light/low tech tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm swapping my high light/mid tech 75g over to low light/low tech soon, but I'm not sure what light to use in the new setup. Currently I have a dual T5HO fixture as well as the stock single bulb T8 strip light (all running 6500K bulbs in their respective formats). The new plantings will be Amazon Swords, Valisneria, Crypts, Anubias, and floating plants (maaaaybe keep my current Red Tiger Lotus and let its leaves float too).

What's the right amount of light for this? I see dueling opinions across my google searches where some people say a dual T5HO fixture and others going with the dual T8 shop lights from Home Depot (this one in particular) . Which one is right? I don't want to have to dose carbon/Excel or ferts, nor do I want to spend much time having to remove algae... What fixture would you recommend?

I'm swapping my high light/mid tech 75g over to low light/low tech soon, but I'm not sure what light to use in the new setup. Currently I have a dual T5HO fixture as well as the stock single bulb T8 strip light (all running 6500K bulbs in their respective formats). The new plantings will be Amazon Swords, Valisneria, Crypts, Anubias, and floating plants (maaaaybe keep my current Red Tiger Lotus and let its leaves float too).

What's the right amount of light for this? I see dueling opinions across my google searches where some people say a dual T5HO fixture and others going with the dual T8 shop lights from Home Depot (this one in particular) . Which one is right? I don't want to have to dose carbon/Excel or ferts, nor do I want to spend much time having to remove algae... What fixture would you recommend?

I’d go with 2 t5’s. And I’d also still be dosing a little bit of ferts and excel here and there. Maybe once or twice a week? If it turns out to be 2 strong U can always switch them to t8’s later.

You’ll want a nutrient rich substrate and additional root tabs if your looking to cut down on fert dosing [emoji106]

I’d go with 2 t5’s. And I’d also still be dosing a little bit of ferts and excel here and there. Maybe once or twice a week? If it turns out to be 2 strong U can always switch them to t8’s later.

You’ll want a nutrient rich substrate and additional root tabs if your looking to cut down on fert dosing [emoji106]

2 standard T5s or the 2 T5HOs like I already have? I'd honestly prefer starting with lower lighting and upping it as needed if the plants seem to be suffering since the lower lighting is usually cheaper and it's a whole lot harder to stop algae after it's gotten a foothold...

Nutrient rich substrate is the plan, so that's not an issue, but I'm really trying to avoid needing to dose ferts/carbon other than at water change time. Having my first child in July so I'm not going to have anywhere near as much time (or memory) to keep track of when I need to dose next.

Back
Top Bottom