What HOB filter to use for 29gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'll go with no top for now... would I need a skimmer if I have the surface covered in floating plants or will floating plants act as lid reducing my par? So is it better not to have them?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not too crazy about floating plants. Maybe they're okay for low light tanks. They do block light so your plants underneath should be low light tolerant. That in itself reduces your plant options. This is all dependant on your goals for the tank. My example is a moderate light tank, but high tech with pressurized CO2 injection and comprehensive fertilizer regimen.

I do have floating frogbit plants in my low tech shrimp tank.

The skimmer is up to you. You don't need it. But I certainly enjoy mine for reasons stated earlier.

I'm not too crazy about floating plants. Maybe they're okay for low light tanks. They do block light so your plants underneath should be low light tolerant. That in itself reduces your plant options. This is all dependant on your goals for the tank. My example is a moderate light tank, but high tech with pressurized CO2 injection and comprehensive fertilizer regimen.

I do have floating frogbit plants in my low tech shrimp tank.

The skimmer is up to you. You don't need it. But I certainly enjoy mine for reasons stated earlier.

Ok thanks I'll go without the floating plants:) I'm going with DIY CO2 for now until I can save up the money for a pressurized CO2 system and I'm thinking about PPS-pro unless anyone has any other suggestions?

For light I have the Nat. Geo. Programmable LED light (it was gift) so I'm using it until I can purchase the USA satellite LED+

I use PPS-Pro too. Sounds like you're all squared away. Looking forward to the build journal, if you start one. We're all here to help. :)

Last edited:
Check out how crystal clear my water looks in my 17g running a fluval c2. I also added an eheim skim 350 for the surface since my tank is topless. But if that doesn't matter, the fluval c series is excellent for the overall filtration of your tank. It's like a hob & canister hybrid. It's innovative, to say the least.

Go to page 1 for the FTS.
My 17g Planted Tank :) - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
Wowwww I LOVE your tank. That aquascaping is GORGEOUS. Good job! I hope to be able to do aquascaping some day too. c:

Wowwww I LOVE your tank. That aquascaping is GORGEOUS. Good job! I hope to be able to do aquascaping some day too. c:

Thanks.. anyone can do it if you set your goals and mind to it. There's plenty of aquascapes better than mine, TBH. Research and forums will certainly help. I started out this hobby with fake plants. LOL

I use PPS-Pro too. Sounds like you're all squared away. Looking forward to the build journal, if you start one. We're all here to help. :)

Thanks I plan on starting one but it may take me a while to get everything started up. School starts soon and I have a rodeo performance this weekend plus I really need to save up for the equipment but I will do my best to keep things interesting (;

Alright going to start a build thread need some advice on scape so if you would be so kind to take a look it will be in the planted section New's 29 gallon tank build thanks for all your help!

Thanks.. anyone can do it if you set your goals and mind to it. There's plenty of aquascapes better than mine, TBH. Research and forums will certainly help. I started out this hobby with fake plants. LOL
Yeah, I've seen a lot of pictures of amazing aquascapes, but I still think yours is gorgeous. cx And I am sort of practicing with my own fake plants LOL. Still figuring it out though. XD

Are you injecting co2 or not? I'm assuming not. If you are not, the more surface agitation will create more ambient c02 if I'm not mistaken. So some thing with a bio wheel or an air stone or both. I have the marineland penguin bio wheel, I like it a lot, it's got plenty of space to put bio rings and purigen and some filter floss with another sponge in it. I just got the aqua clear 30 for my ten gal, the "flow" adjuster is kinda ****** in my opinion it's just a tube that holds in place over a hole and you slide the tube to the right so it's not directly over the hole and water doesn't all flow through it, but it does have a pretty gentle current more so than my bio wheel. It's got a little tray you can pull out and add some bags of purigen or bio max and a sponge. I don't like tetra whisper filters I never have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

FYI in my tanks with HOB and floating plants I take a water bottle and cut the top and bottom off. Then I cut it from top to bottom to create a crescent shape. Trim to fit the hob and place one section over the bottom and the other section over the top of the hob. This redirects the water flow left and right of the hob rather than directly down. This works very well and is difficult to notice.

FYI in my tanks with HOB and floating plants I take a water bottle and cut the top and bottom off. Then I cut it from top to bottom to create a crescent shape. Trim to fit the hob and place one section over the bottom and the other section over the top of the hob. This redirects the water flow left and right of the hob rather than directly down. This works very well and is difficult to notice.

Hmm good idea I may have to try that in some of my other tanks :)

Have you ever used canister filters? There so much better!! Quieter, cleaner more efficient!! But can be spendy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom