What is going on!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lifeoffroad said:
Sorry my bad it is a ciralife T5 67000k and 10000k plus an 18" t8 8000k for color and running in the evening for moon light.

An 18" 8000k isn't really a moonlight. Algae and even many low light plants can easily grow under one of those. You'll need to factor it in into your photoperiod.

CorallineAlgae said:
An 18" 8000k isn't really a moonlight. Algae and even many low light plants can easily grow under one of those. You'll need to factor it in into your photoperiod.

Yeah maybe moonlight was the wrong word. Out of 12 hours a day about 3 of those is under the small 18. ive been reading a lot and i think i need to do two major things. More water changes and less light.

Lifeoffroad said:
Yeah maybe moonlight was the wrong word. Out of 12 hours a day about 3 of those is under the small 18. ive been reading a lot and i think i need to do two major things. More water changes and less light.

I totally agree. Both should be a really big help. BBA is hard to get rid of once it's established. Excell is another good tool in the fight. Those steps, careful feeding and a Siamese algae eater took care of my outbreak.

You definitely need to cut them back to 8 hours and possibly 6 hours until you get the algae under control.

Rivercats said:
You definitely need to cut them back to 8 hours and possibly 6 hours until you get the algae under control.

That's what I ended up going to for a while, six hours.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's what I ended up going to for a while, six hours.

Question about my lighting. I bought it used and realized the bulbs were for marine. So I took out the acintic and put in a 6700. Should I trade in the 10000 for a colormax or just a full spectrum daylight?

Either bulb would be fine. Most lamps grow more algae than plants as they get around a year old. If it's still under a year old from when the original owner started using it it'll be fine to use the 10000K until it's time is up.

Back
Top Bottom