What is going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before we moved, my 55 gal tank was flourishing. The Anacharis needed to be pruned weekly and the anubias had tones of little leaves. Now that we have moved, I am finding it hard to keep the Anacharis from dieing. Within a few weeks they turn brown and brittle. pH is at 8.2, hardness is like liquid rock (23 drops on AP kit, don't have it with me so I can't give the exact figure), phosphates (last check) were at 1, and Nitrate was 10. I had a Hornwort in the tank that was doing beautifully until the Rosy barbs decided to have it for lunch. Can anyone give me some in-sight on whats going on? The tank has the same lighting as it did from the previous location. Could it just be that the pH and hardness are alot higher and are not promoting growth?

I would theorize that the water from your previous residence and your new location is different in some way. I have a suspicion that it is harder water. Were the tests the same at both locations? Can you obtain a copy of the water test results for your location?

I would have to agree. There might be more copper in your water now. Anacharis is pretty salt tolerant so I don't think its a NA problem.

Sorry for not responding. I didn't get an e-mail stating a response has been given.

I can try to obtain a water quality report tomorrow. Since they are having the issues with high lead, I'm sure it's going to be a pain to get a report. Could that be the cause?

Apparently a water quality report is difficult to come by. LOL I think it's because they are in violoation of EPA standards. We got a letter a few months ago about the high lead content. I am supposed to go down to the Utility plant tomorrow and speak with someone about "possibly" obtaining a report. I think maybe they are hiding something. LOL

Yup, high lead content. The water itself tastes kind of like metal, but maybe that is the pipes in the building. It'd be a shame if we couldn't keep the plants due to the water.

to find out and get a report from the water company where or who do you contact?

The local water source. When we lived across state we used to contact the Water and Sewer company. But in our new town we have to get it from the Utility plant. But they are catching heat from the EPA so it may be difficult getting one. We'll see tomorrow!

After alot of trouble, I was finally able to obtain a water quality report. Those people REALLY don't want to give it out. And to boot, they gave me one from 2004. They said that they don't have a newer one, but that's bunk. I know the Manager personally and will obtain a 2005 copy. But it may be a week or so until I can get it. So for right now, I am going to post the 2004 results. I don't know how to read this. The last city that we lived in, the report was very simple to read. This one, I have no clue. I hope you guys can help.

I didn't post anything with the Trihalomethanes, Haloacetic Acids, Chlorine (which BTW is now chloramines), Flouride, and Nickel. But if those would be helpful, I can post them also.

Attachments

• quality_174.jpg
    quality_174.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 46
Wow, that's a lot of lead in the water, you are almost 2x over their Action Level (think in termas of Ammonia, if 1PPM causes alarm, they are at 2.) (I see why they are reluctant to release newer ones)

The levels, PPB are Part's Per Billion.. way less then what we measure in, but still if they are over on lead content, that is concern. a more detailed report of the TDS in your water, not just lead and copper content would be handy.

Here it is. I didn't type it out earlier because the Copper and Lead seemed to me as being the culprits.

Attachments

• quality_769.jpg
    quality_769.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 40
I see Sodium at 75ppm.. not sure if that will cause a problem. iron is low, I'm not sure of the effect of selenium. If it is Se on the periodic table I notice no substrate has any.. but the leve in your water is soo low. If anything I'ld think you need more micro nutrients. esp. iron..

Copper may be a culprit.. If you want to test, try getting some Seachem Cuprisorb or Chemipure by Boyd (picture of nemo on the front).. both will remove copper from the water.

Copper typically kills off Val. and a couple others, so it is possible.

If you can't get a current report from your city government, you might want to take a sample to a private testing lab. I check my well water twice a year and it costs about $20 per test. Its nice to know what your tap water parameters so you know where you're at with your tank, but in your case I'd be worried about what you're drinking (any children in the house?).

We get a water quality report mailed to us once a year from our township. We haven't gotten our 2005 one yet.

I'm looking at our report...our copper 90 percentile is 0.02 and lead is 1; violation, no. The explanation for both says "Corrosion of household plumbing systems; erosion of natural deposits". The copper explanation adds "Leaching from wood preservatives". There's also another part that says to reduce lead levels in your drinking water, you should run the cold water tap until the water is as cold as it can get. Hot water is likely to contain higher levels of lead. That doesn't help much with the python!

Total Trihalomethanes and Haloacetic Acids say "By-product of drinking water disinfection".

MCL is Maximum Contaminant Level
MCLG is Maximum Contaminant Level Goal
MRDL is Maximum Residual Disinfectant Level

There's also a paragraph at the top that even though this is the 2004 report, some substances say last tested in 2002 or 2003 because the concentrations of those substances do not change frequently and the state doesn't require yearly testing of those substances.

Hope this helps a little.

I would say copper might be the culprit. As for lead, the first pic you posted says 0 lead, and that 15ppb would trigger their action on lead. So you are good there, no lead. But copper has triggered the action level.

As for lead, the first pic you posted says 0 lead, and that 15ppb would trigger their action on lead. So you are good there, no lead. But copper has triggered the action level.

you've got it backwards, lead has triggered action levels at 7 sites, copper is .4 under the action level in 90% of the test sites. and has triggered 0 action.

No children in the house. We do not drink the water either. It tastes too much like metal but yet mixed with something else that makes it taste even more YUCKY. We buy water jugs from Wal-Mart and that's what we use. We even make Kool-Aid with it. I am picky about the water that I drink. I only drink tap from my parents house since they are on a well. What can I say, I don't care for city water (have lived in 6 different cities and I will not drink from any of them). So what do you guys think I should do? Is there something that I should be adding to the water?

Back
Top Bottom