What is guppy grass???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I'm starting a lowlight planted aquarium (48 in. 55gallon) and someone reccomended guppy grass. The problem is... I have no idea what that is!!! I googled it and i think its najas something but im not sure. And so many pictures of so many different plants came up. If anyone would care to enlighten me please feel free.:thanks:

Okay so I'm starting a lowlight planted aquarium (48 in. 55gallon) and someone reccomended guppy grass. The problem is... I have no idea what that is!!! I googled it and i think its najas something but im not sure. And so many pictures of so many different plants came up. If anyone would care to enlighten me please feel free.:thanks:

Hey zooking,

Yeah guppy grass is more of a "slang" or "common" name for Naja Grass. It came from many different guppy breeders using it for cover for their fry, so it was just easier for them to call it guppy grass.

It's a great low-light plant with great cover advantages, both for babies and space.

Peace,
Ben

No. I mean I would have, but I already have the other bulbs and I can't afford new ones yet. All my fish money is going toward plants and sand.

Najas is a floating plant that will root itself if it stays in contact with the substrate long enough, but not particularly firmly or well. It doesn't float as close to the surface as hornwort, and will fill just about any open water space as it grows.

Najas will float whether it's rooted or not, the roots are relatively few and thin. They break fairly easily if the plant is disturbed, though I dount whether Cory cats would do it. It roots well enough in my BN tanks, Cory cats aren't much different in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom