What is melting? How do I prevent it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
For Christmas I am getting a 40 gallon tank , I will aquascape it too. I will be using flourish, iron, and exel in the tank. There will be no co2 but I might make my own, there will also be good lighting. I read about plants melting. What does it mean to melt. If I get plants will they melt.
-thanks

Melting is a slow breakdown/decay of the leaves. The tend to brown, turn translucent, and shred like a thin tissue paper would when it gets wet. Some plants are more prone to melting than others, especially crypts. Given the right conditions, even if some of the leaves melt, your plants will still do fine.

Something else is several types of plants especially crypts that melt will often still have good roots and the leaves will begin to regrow in time. So never pull up a plant that has melted unless your sure it has totally melted and roots died.

Vals can melt and grow back but wisteria is ify about growing back so just watch them. Also adding a root tab to both types of plants will help give roots the nutrients they need, especially the wisteria.

Back
Top Bottom