What is my Amazon Sword doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsey577

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know what this plant is trying to do? Thanks

Attachments

• image-1900396047.jpg
    image-1900396047.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3026772008.jpg
    image-3026772008.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 106
Awesome! Do you know how long it takes for it to do that?

It just depends on how big it gets and if it grows multiple shoots. It can take weeks. Both my Amazon Swords are doing that now with mulitiple runners coming from the plant and 3 or 4 of the runners have 3 individual shoots on them.

Mine did the same thing. It had the runner on the shoot for weeks then a new root tab and some light it's opened. Currently it has one large leaf. The runner had two buds but my angel picked off the top one.

It looks like swords flower and produce runners by the same mechanism. A flower will form on the end if it gets out of the water, with lots of babies between.

Learn something new every day.

aqua_chem said:
It looks like swords flower and produce runners by the same mechanism. A flower will form on the end if it gets out of the water, with lots of babies between.

Learn something new every day.

Will swords produce runners under low light conditions?

Will swords produce runners under low light conditions?

I'm sure it would take longer. I think with swords it's going to be more of a nutrient source. The plant will need energy to grow it out, and light and nutrients can help here. Mine grew the runner quicker when it was I'm higher light, but it still grew in lower light.

My tank had very low light and no fertilizer. And my sword is actually growing pretty fast.

It will be a good idea to a root tab in since that is where they absorb the most nutrients from. Plus it will need alot right now since it's reproducing. I just added root tabs to mine again today for that very reason.

I've been planning to get them the next time I go to Petsmart. What's the best thing to get?

I use one's I order from AquariumPlants.com but API and Seachem are both good brands.

Back
Top Bottom