What is the best moss??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think any moss could take over if the conditions are right, but I've never had an issue removing/trimming any mosses. Healthy java moss just grows outward, it doesn't break off or anything normally so you could take it out by the handfuls if you wanted to. Moss balls however are a different story, lol.

jetajockey said:
I think any moss could take over if the conditions are right, but I've never had an issue removing/trimming any mosses. Healthy java moss just grows outward, it doesn't break off or anything normally so you could take it out by the handfuls if you wanted to. Moss balls however are a different story, lol.

I wouldn't mess with miss balls, seem boring to me. I guess having that much moss wouldn't be bad..I got a buddy that would gladly take some.

Where did you buy your moss from?

Several places, have gotten some local, have bought some from other hobbyists on different forums. It's usually not too hard to find, just make sure you get some good photos of what you are buying so you make sure you get the amount you want/need. Most people sell in a golf ball/baseball/softball type measurement which varies from person to person.

Flame moss is awesome I love how it grows upwards
Peacock & Taiwan moss
Creeping moss
Willow moss
Phoenix moss
Erect moss

OBEYtheFISH said:
Flame moss is awesome I love how it grows upwards
Peacock & Taiwan moss
Creeping moss
Willow moss
Phoenix moss
Erect moss

I looked at all of those. Flame and Christmas are my favorite. Christmas I would have to order from overseas which I don't want to do, and there isn't a ton of info on flame but I think that might be overseas too.

Buy it from ppl
I'd send you some but I just sold large amounts of them
Look up other forums that specialize in just planted tanks

I have flame, taiwan, Xmas, java & weeping
They always take forever to start to grow in a new tank but eventually you'll see some growth specially in a tank with co2

That's what I was thinking of doing. Buying a few different kinds. And you are growing all the mosses I was considering.
How long before you think you could sell more?

Look at my picture that's on the first page and tell me what you think would look good. I've been researching but pictures aren't the same as the real thing.

I for sure want moss on the rock and on the small piece of dw next to it. Probably some on the dw on the right. Not sure about the main piece of dw

On the second pic branchy dw I'd have either weeping or flame moss
on the rock far right I'd go with peacock moss
& the middle dw looks like Malaysian I'd do xmas moss
A lot of ppl (aquascapers) like to go with one or max 2 types of moss in a tank but you have a large tank which I think can be pulled off

Yeah, I'd love to have a few different kinds. I can give some to my buddy and then start selling if it really goes crazy.

I'll go with..
flame for the branchy dw.
peacock for the rock.
xmas for the main piece of wood

How much do you usually sell for?

What are the sizes of the rock & dws?

The branchy dw on the left...about 16in long and about 2 wide that I'd cover
Rock...20in by 3in (max of about 5in wide)
Main dw about 20in that I'd do (avg of 2-3in wide)

I don't think I'd buy that much for them just because that'd be a lot of moss and money I'd think. By the time you grow it all out I'll have my co2 running again so it'll grow pretty quick. But let me know what you think.

I know you said Flame grows up, but how well does it spread?
Rock I'd probably get about 10in by 2in?
Main dw maybe 10in by 2in?

I'd worry more about lenght than width...just throwing numbers.

Depending on how well you are planning on hooking me up I may buy more if the deal is that good lol

Lol yeah that's a lot
But they'll grow in nice with the co2 & light

Flame grows upwards but will spread
Since it'll be in mid tank it might get more light so might be faster
Same with Xmas will be getting more light
The peacock might take its time to grow
But like I said looks like you have sufficient lighting & co2 so that's good
I've had Xmas grow without hardly any light

Thats what I figured. I'll take a nice amount of the 3 and let it grow. How much is shipping usually?

Back
Top Bottom