What is the best moss??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Pleco

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had my heart set on Christmas Moss for awhile but thought I'd ask if there is a better choice. It will be for covering a large rock. I know it's not as hardy as well.

Didn't know if anyone had good experiences with anything else that is easy to tie down and doesn't grow to take over the whole tank.

I have co2 set up but it won't be back up and running until I modify some stuff.
Lights: 2x Solarmax Deepblue t5 HO- x2 39w bulbs
2x older fixture (unknown)- only 1 bulb running on each 30w t8

I'm looking on eBay for more variety right now.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• image-3217898736.jpg
    image-3217898736.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 147
  • image-4172952081.jpg
    image-4172952081.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 130
I've looked at it but it seems like it's just clumps and not really held together. My lfs has some and I've picked it up and just seems like it'd be a pain.

Not sure if it's just what they have stocked or what?

idk, i am wanting some moss too, but the lfs doesnt have any, ill do some research, and see what moss would be good. if you find any cool moss send me a message or something

I found a list of a bunch of mosses. It's definitely not all the ones out there but it's quite a few.
List of Aquatic Moss. How to grow Aquatic Moss. Info on Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Taiwan Moss, Peacock Moss, Stringy Moss

I want attaches easily and isn't messy. I like the look of flame moss, christmas moss, weeping moss, and star moss.

-haven't found too much information on flame moss
Flame moss -| eBay
-christmas moss has varied growth from what I read
Xmas moss| eBay
-weeping moss attaches to driftwood well and is very hardy
Weeping Moss | eBay
- star moss is very hardy
Star Moss| eBay

All grow slow too. I'm still reading up though

thats what ive heard. most require medium lighting and ive heard c02 will also help. i want to attach the moss to my log, and a rock

same here...those are my 2 favorite. I'm sure I will buy a few different kinds because I have so many different places I can attach it.

keep me updated, i may go to my lfs in a couple days, and try to buy some moss :)

I know most growers don't carry the more rare mosses like christmas and I'm sure flame. I asked my place if they could special order christmas moss and their place said they couldn't get any.

They have java though. Ask your lfs what mosses they can special order. I'll keep searching and let you know if I find something.

okay sounds good. my lfs said they would order fish for me, so i guess they could order some plants. there are alot of good retailers online that have tons of plants. that may be the best bet for you.

I really like flame moss! Though I can't seem to get hold of it anywhere. Asking your LFS is the best bet (though mine couldn't get it in). They did manage to get some other plants in for me though.

My favorite is java moss, it's the most common, but it's also been the best grower out of the few that I've had. Willow moss is another good one, it grows locally here and in a lot of other places, but in aquaria it doesn't seem to take off like java moss does. If the java moss is healthy it won't be falling apart or in clumps, I have some pieces that are over a food long when stretched out. If left alone it will also tend to grow towards the light.

jetajockey said:
My favorite is java moss, it's the most common, but it's also been the best grower out of the few that I've had. Willow moss is another good one, it grows locally here and in a lot of other places, but in aquaria it doesn't seem to take off like java moss does. If the java moss is healthy it won't be falling apart or in clumps, I have some pieces that are over a food long when stretched out. If left alone it will also tend to grow towards the light.

Which do you think would be better on the rock in my picture? Idk if it would attach since its more smooth unless I put mesh under it.

Might buy something else for driftwood or use whatever I buy for the rock.

Basefrog said:
I really like flame moss! Though I can't seem to get hold of it anywhere. Asking your LFS is the best bet (though mine couldn't get it in). They did manage to get some other plants in for me though.

I really like the look of flame too but there isn't too much info on it anywhere. There is some on eBay but
It's a little more pricey for not much, and it's from asia

Mr.Pleco said:
Which do you think would be better on the rock in my picture? Idk if it would attach since its more smooth unless I put mesh under it.

Might buy something else for driftwood or use whatever I buy for the rock.

I've had no prob attaching willow or Java to any textured surface but the process is slow and you should use some mesh initially.

I have a small piece of dw that got covered in Java naturally after I tossed it on a bed of moss and left it for a few months.

jetajockey said:
I've had no prob attaching willow or Java to any textured surface but the process is slow and you should use some mesh initially.

I have a small piece of dw that got covered in Java naturally after I tossed it on a bed of moss and left it for a few months.

Thats what im looking for.
What places sell it locally? Any have online stores?

I'm also looking at Taiwan moss. From what I read it grows pretty fast with with better light and some co2, which I have. And it looks more like Christmas moss.

But I don't know about finding it locally

Finding it is probably the hard part. You may find some in the classifieds on the planted tank.net forum. I personally don't like buying from overseas, as I've heard that some shipments get seized by customs or are completely dead or only semi aquatic.

That's what I read. I guess I'll look into it.

I did read that java moss can take over the tank when the conditions are right which makes me want to look at something else. Seems like it'd be a pain to trim

Back
Top Bottom