Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is the problem??

So I'm kinda new to this app. ( not my first thread) and after sone long rewind I tried my hand at plants. I bought two small java ferns and a hairball of java moss. All was going well for about two days. Something ate one of the java ferns. In the tank is three angels two tiger barbs two plecos four amano shrimp one crawfish and two pink gourami. (Yes I already know these guys don't do well together. I'm working the barbs one gourami out and loaches in.) so who is the culprit? Also with the addition of the plants I see a bunch of small white dots on the glass of the tank. Are these snails? Nothing on the fish so not ich. What is the downside to snails? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Little white dots could be snails. Not sure. I don't know if tiny snails can do so much damage in two days. If it was an apple snail or something like that I would say sure, but IDK about little ones. Although they do eat algae, greens, plants etc as far as I know.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
It is probably the pink gouramis, they love a nice fresh salad bar.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so no real downside to the snails. They pose a good snack for my future yoyo loaches anyway. I guess rapunzel an Eugene have to go. My four year old likes the tangled movie. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would guess it to be either the gourami, barbs, or cray

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's kinda weird. The eggs are in the same area of the tank and it's kinda high up the glass. No eggs anywhere else. Here's a pic if them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1867813447.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	38637  
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #7

Wow.. that's alot of eggs.. I have snail eggs all over my tank, but none in clumps that big. That picture looks like pond snail eggs but alot of them. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Sure look like angel eggs to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree rich. Give it time, fishy. If your angels are anything like mine, they will be gone soon!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After some googling, I realize that this is angel fish eggs. Holy crap!!! What do i do now? I only have one tank so removing them is not really an option. Of the fish posted, which would try to eatthe fry? Also the crawfish was the plant eater. Little bastard cost me 20 dollars in ferns.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are your eggs still there? My angels always eat their eggs within a matter of hours. By the next day, they are all gone.

LOL @ crawfish!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes as of this morning, when I caught the crawfish, the eggs were still there. The angels stayed very close to the eggs. Often touching their nose to the eggs. Will these guys survive? What do I need to prepare for them? Should I get one of those in tank breeding things? I need to google more.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com