What is the purpose at all of leaving on CO2 24/7?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the capability to trigger my CO2 on about an hour prior to lights and turn off with the lights. Currently I'm running it through the night (unlighted) which is 16 hours. Seems like a waste of CO2 to be using my tank 16 hours a day if the plants can't use it. What is the purpose at all of leaving on CO2 24/7? Besides the slight shift in PH when it's lights out? I guess what I'm trying to get at is if you have a ph controlled system (like I do) and a solenoid which can be hooked up to a timer (like I do) then would I be CRAZY not to just run the CO2 lets say 10 hours a day and the lights 8 rather than throwing away half my tank in to the dark?

I'm assuming people that are pumping it in 24/7 don't have the capability to put it on a timer or am I missing something here? This is my first CO2 planted tank.

Well I don't run CO2 ... but if I did ... based on what I've read countless of times ... you'd want to run CO2 during lights on for photosynthesis. At night, they're using O2 like everyone else.

I have the capability to trigger my CO2 on about an hour prior to lights and turn off with the lights. Currently I'm running it through the night (unlighted) which is 16 hours. Seems like a waste of CO2 to be using my tank 16 hours a day if the plants can't use it. What is the purpose at all of leaving on CO2 24/7? Besides the slight shift in PH when it's lights out? I guess what I'm trying to get at is if you have a ph controlled system (like I do) and a solenoid which can be hooked up to a timer (like I do) then would I be CRAZY not to just run the CO2 lets say 10 hours a day and the lights 8 rather than throwing away half my tank in to the dark?

I'm assuming people that are pumping it in 24/7 don't have the capability to put it on a timer or am I missing something here? This is my first CO2 planted tank.

The only people running CO2 24/7 AFAIK are DIY set ups or super low bubble counts. You can gas your fish since plants don't use it at night.

Its a waste of CO2 as well.

So yes, you are right.

Back
Top Bottom