Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think way to much lighting without pressurized co2 did it. Going to grab some excel later today and give it a go, how much of an OD dose should I use? Since at the moment money is preventing me from using my co2 tank. Those shrimp I've yet to find anywhere near me. Only shrimp sold that I can find are ghost and rcs I have both but only ghost in this tank, the rcs are for breeding and have their own tank.

Do I need to lay off daily ei dosing while I'm using excel?

Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
come get me tang police!

It is definitely a too much light issue. I've run into this on my 40b's also when playing around with lighting levels. As far as removal goes, manual removal is best. (i.e. clipping affected leaves) Coupled with that, the more plants you can remove to treat, the better. That way you can do direct h2o2 or direct excel dosing without ODing the tank. ODing excel or h2o2 can also nuke your fish/inverts.

Fert dosing and excel compliment one another, since excel is utilized as a carbon source, but at this point I'd lay off of fert dosing completely since the algae is going insane.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

So peroxide well kill algae? I've used it to spot treat bga when I had that never noticed it affect algae. I've pulled the plants up once a few weeks back since I added a top later of pool filter sand over my fluorite since looking at the tank would stir up dust. They all have quite extensive roots and don't want to shock our hurt them more? Can I spot treat it like I did with peroxide but use excel? Then again I'm sure that would still od the tank...

If you feel the only real way is to pull them and treat I will. None if my fish or shrimp died from peroxide treatment however my snails almost died.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
come get me tang police!

It just looks like a ton of algae in those pics, so I assume it'll take quite a bit of extensive treatment to get it all. Another option would be to move out the stock until you can treat the tank and do a big water change. Both excel and h2o2 are good algae killers but they can also kill other stuff as well so better safe than sorry.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So when removing and treating with h2o2 what is the proper course for treatment?? How much and for how long??
Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
come get me tang police!

I've just directly applied it at 3% trying to avoid the roots if applicable. There are various methods though, and some plants are more sensitive than others. Have a look at this thread.

Another alternative would be potassium permanganate but I've not used it for this purpose.

h2o2 dip thread
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have groomed heavily removing most affected areas. Wattage is at 80 using two bulbs. I went ahead with the excel treatment as my dwarf hair is starting to carpet as well as lot of the plants are sprouting up new growths via runners and don't want to disturb that.

So with pruning and a 3x excel dose today I'm going to stick it out with excel for the next three days.

Do I need to continue light break cycles? I have them on for 3 hours off for 1.5 then on for 9.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok guys after a hard two days work and a weeks worth of excel treatment its finally over

Fixed the problems with lighting and hopefully have co2 injection in the coming months.

Here is a quick look at my tank now and telling you guys thanks for the advice and help.

Hoping if I land this new job with more pay I can upgrade to a 300 gallon tank, would it be cheaper to diy or buy?

Planted tank update #2 - YouTube
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is ULTRA High light, even if you had pressurized CO2! Even with heavy planting + pressurized CO2, my 55g can get a bit of BBA on hard surfaces. I have "fixed" that with water lilies and Salvinia which covers a lot of water surface.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

So when would that wattage be applicable? Is that high light more for coral and reef tanks. I assumed high light was around 4 Watts per gallon? So my 156 watt fixture would be fine... So I've been using only 80 Watts after advice from others. What would be the proper wattage with co2 injection?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com