What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneu

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Java fern is showing some unknown to me signs of a deficiency or disease. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?
Thanks in advanceIMG_20170626_224508257.jpgIMG_20170626_224531132.jpg

Anyone?
Even a link to something that might explain it would be helpful if anyone has any ideas

Anyone?
Even a link to something that might explain it would be helpful if anyone has any ideas

Did u recently glue them on to the rocks or wood laterly? Looks like it's rotted away

how is the rest of the plants in your tank ? Nothing else showing these signs?
Is this a relatively new plant. Could be a molt spurred by the change in venue.

Too much light possibly or not enough ferts cold be an issue... I had a java fern in a high light tank with plenty of other plants. The Java fern was shaded some but not enough. All the leaves started turning black. This could also been the result of being a new plant and molting some and some early fertilizing/CO2 issues I had. But too much light means the plant might be trying to out grow the rest of its resources which means its looking for food therefore a deficiency. Java fern do well in very low light situations. SO its possible that maybe this one is receiving more than it needs.

Using the chart below nitrogen phosphates potassium deficiencies all have burned edges moving inwards and consuming the leaf.. So if you were deficient in all of these do to too much light I could see the extreme burn being a possible sign. As I mentioned I had some fert issues early in my tank and I was woefully under fertilizing as well as my light was way to close. That combo produced real burnt black leaves. I have since replaced it with high light stem plants

Food for thought

12cpo07a3f11.jpg

Wonderful information funken. Thank you so much.
So I have glued my ferns to my driftwood. But it was a few months ago and roots were growing good. But suddenly this started happening. I made sure to not get glue on the rysome of the plant and used some of the grown roots.
I didn't know that Java ferns did better in low light situations. My lights are on roughly 7 1/2 hours a day. With injected co2. I might need to move them to different locations? Maybe under my swords.
No other plants are showing any signs like this. I am having different signs of deficiency but I know what it is.
Only recent things done to tank is water changes and trying to deal with brown algae that is everywhere. No chemicals added other than prime and fertilizers

Wonderful information funken. Thank you so much.
So I have glued my ferns to my driftwood. But it was a few months ago and roots were growing good. But suddenly this started happening. I made sure to not get glue on the rysome of the plant and used some of the grown roots.
I didn't know that Java ferns did better in low light situations. My lights are on roughly 7 1/2 hours a day. With injected co2. I might need to move them to different locations? Maybe under my swords.
No other plants are showing any signs like this. I am having different signs of deficiency but I know what it is.
Only recent things done to tank is water changes and trying to deal with brown algae that is everywhere. No chemicals added other than prime and fertilizers

They may just be adjusting to the new addition of your ferts and co2? If u started co2 and dry ferts at the same time it may have shocked them abit. Cut those leaves off and see if it happens to any others.

I've grow Java fern in high light without issue so I don't think it would be that

They may just be adjusting to the new addition of your ferts and co2? If u started co2 and dry ferts at the same time it may have shocked them abit. Cut those leaves off and see if it happens to any others.

I've grow Java fern in high light without issue so I don't think it would be that
Good to know.
I was worried because I don't really have anywhere to put them that is under less light. And I have noticed on the same ferns that have the (burnt) marks, new leafs are sprouting.
So maybe it's just doing a major shed?

Back
Top Bottom