What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My plants are growing very well, but I have this thing that anchors on the leaves and just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Looks like some kind of algae. Does anyone know what it is and what to do about it? I've tried scraping it off the leaves of the plants, but it's anchored so hard it just breaks up the plant. And it grows back anyway. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• img_0883__small__717.jpg
    img_0883__small__717.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 250
Then if I cut the leaf off and removed it, that should work too if I could afford to loose that many leaves, right? I have some growing on a rock too.

It will most likely come back. It's in your tank. That big piece is just what is visibly bloomed. You have some imbalance in nutrients for the plants that needs to be accounted for, but cutting away will help you out temporarily.

Black beard algae is often caused by low oxygen levels in the water. This can be the result of poor circulation of water in the area where the algae appears, an inadequate filtration system, or a number of other reasons. Low or fluctuating CO2 levels in a high-light tank can also cause BBA, but the first thing to check, like theotheragentm said, are your nutrient levels.

It is also recommended to remove all affected leaves. This can be a PITA, but BBA will not come off of plants once attached. It will die if spot-treated with Excel, like Algenco recommended, and I have seen fish eat the dead algae, but that isn't likely unless you've got a tankful of mollies :p

travis simonson said:
Black beard algae is often caused by low oxygen levels in the water. This can be the result of poor circulation of water in the area where the algae appears, an inadequate filtration system, or a number of other reasons. :p

I have an Emperor 400 and a coralia 2 in a 72 gallon for filtration and circulation. It seems to be circulating fine. The fish love getting into the stream and swimming in and out against the flow. I wouldn't think aeration or circulation would be the problem.

Algenco said:
Looks like beard algae (bba)
Spot treating with Excel works

Can you explain what spot treating with Excel means? Isn't it a liquid that would spread throughout the tank instead of being applied just to the problem algae? Or by spot treatment do you mean a one time dose? I just need to understand this recommendation a little better.

Spot treatment means that instead of simply squirting it into the top of the aquarium, you squirt it directly over the affected area. This allows for a more concentrated dose right on the algae before it gets spread throughout the tank.

Back
Top Bottom