What is this algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brentweld

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I get rid of it I have a 55 gallon with 4 t 5 lights how many hours should I run them? I am using excel daily and still have the problemImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405113724.641958.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405113734.426985.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405113743.494376.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The first 2 photos looks like bba (black beard algae) and the third picture looks like it could be blue-green algae. Are the t5's HO?

Then that means you are in the high light range and excel will not help much in algae control. I suggest going DIY co2 or pressurized co2 to control algae and run your light for 7 hours or less.

I don't know then that's a lot of money I just might move up to a salt water if I need to spend that much.

You'll spend allot more going salt them just getting a co2 system. The aquatek paintball regulator off amazon is about 100$

The 3rd pic is Cyanobacteria. It usually comes with newer setup tanks. You can get rid of it my lightly dosing Maracyn(Not Maracyn II) for 5days.

You could try running only 2-3 lights and for a smaller amount of time. For the blue green algae you might need to do a erythromycin treatment. How much excel do you dose per day and are you adding any ferts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

I capful excel per day but have been slacking cause I'm not seeing a difference. That's a good idea I think I'll try 3 lights

What is the erethromyacin? Or however you spell it.

Here's a helpful article on treating BGA: Controlling cyanobacteria | The Skeptical Aquarist

For your lighting strength you could probably be doing like 1-2 mL of Excel per gallon. That would obviously get very costly so you could also look into purchasing Metricide 14, which is just the generic form (glutaraldehyde) in a more concentrated (and much cheaper) dosage. There are lots of good threads on Metricide/Glut alternatives here on AA if you do a forum search. Here's Metricide on Amazon: Amazon.com: Metrex Metricide Gallon 14 Day - Model 182337 - Each: Health & Personal Care

Back
Top Bottom