What is this brown stuff and how do I get rid of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the last few weeks dark brown algae has started growing on my Java moss, anubias and base rock. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Please excuse my water spotted glass... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438654083.464657.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438654104.991950.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438654120.362557.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438654138.360728.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's some serious bba, looks to be struggling though. What's up with the tank? Any major changes lately?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Holy mother of BBA! What you say brooks? Past the point of saving on those plants? It's either H202 or manual removal...

Caleb

I got some new nerites a couple months ago but the stress of shipping was too much for most of them and only one is still alive. Not super impressed with the seller I got them from so I'm not sure how healthy they were to begin with. Also had some red cherry shrimp but I think only one is still kicking too. Not sure what keeps killing my shrimp but my last batch just up and died one day with no apparent cause.

Only other change lately is that I added an LED light strip about the same time to give my plants more light. I did some pretty significant water changes all around the same time so I could clean up my tank and I had a bloom of brown algae which I thought was what is all over the anubias and base rock as the nerites were slowly taking care of it but it went downhill from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's funny though is that in spite of the bba my Java moss looks better than it has in ages! It was dying back not too long ago and now it's bright green again and growing.

Wc schedule? Dosing ferts or glut? doesn't take much to knock a tank out of.balance. aside from the unknowns.. sounds like the java moss is stripping the water.of nutrients.

I'm a terrible aquarist at this point. It's been a probably a month or so since I did a WC and it had probably been 4-6 months before that. I have excel and Api leaf zone that I dose when I remember but that's generally only once every few weeks. Had some api liquid co2 stuff but I ran out and haven't gotten more.

I'm a terrible aquarist at this point. It's been a probably a month or so since I did a WC and it had probably been 4-6 months before that. I have excel and Api leaf zone that I dose when I remember but that's generally only once every few weeks. Had some api liquid co2 stuff but I ran out and haven't gotten more.

Well there's your problem;) may be best just to pull what's affected, bleach rock and start fresh, you can squirt it with h202 and try to stay on routine.

What do I do to use the h2o2? Pulling everything in the tank would leave nothing and I can't afford to replace anything right now.

Kill flow for 20 min than spit.treat with syringe or dropper up to 1ml/gal. Let fizz for 30 min. Repeat 3.days. bba should turn pink and die out. Snails, shrimp and otos while attack the dying algae.

Back
Top Bottom