Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is this Deficiency

I'm having these holes and brown spots appear on older leaves of my amazon Sword. The newer leaves are perfectly fine, but the old ones are getting like this.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Any of the macros can look like that. Have you tested your nitrate lately? What kind of light do you have, do you use CO2, etc?

Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Forgot to mention: Watts are approximately 90 Watts for 29 Gal tank, no c02, dirt planted with miracle-gro. I've very recently started placing red clay into the tank to help with any deficiencies, so if its iron related, it may take time to remedy.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Watts means very little to me. What kind of light is it (T5HO, T8, PC, etc)? Nitrate?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Two Double T5 Fixtures. Nitrates never get above 5 ppm, even after long periods of a lack of water changes.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

If you're running T5HOs and not adding macros, it could be a deficiency of one or multiple macronutrients.

Right now I'm considering potassium, phosphates, and iron as an issue, possibly a combination thereof (as it doesn't look like any one of those alone).

Also, if you have a pleco, he might be causing shenanigans. Apparently the'll chow on swords occasionally .
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have a Bristlenose Pleco, and i've been watching him whenever hes on my sword plants, but havent seen him do any damage. Theres phosphates/potassium in my Substrate, and i've very recently added red clay for iron. Do you recommend trimming the broken up leaves?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have posted a thread in the past with the same issue you have. So far, have started supplementing with Fertz Nitogen (because my natural level in the tank stays low). Saw a tiny bit if improvement, but still lots of lace holes in amazon leaves.

My next step is potassium.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I ended up trimming most of the hole'd leaves and inserting Red clay around the Amazon Sword. New leaves seem to be fine, but im keeping an eye on the old ones.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com