What is this film and bubbles on the surface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mdumanski01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everything has been perfect parameter wise.. Here it goes
29 gallons
Homemade co2
1-betta
7- black neon tetras
2- ghost shrimp
1- tiger snail
2- juli Coreys

I have sand/gravel mix but mostly sand.. I clean it every morning with a turkey baster and once a week 25% change.. Just last week I found a dragonfly nymph hiding in the anacaris, it's now gone.. Parameters are spot on

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394540845.617991.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394540861.872182.jpg

Is the co2 mix leaking into the tank? I this same thing on a Cory cat species only tank, with no co2, and it went away after 2-3 days

Like some yeast water, I hope not.. I'll take everything dealing with the c02 off and check it and put it back on

Take the co2 out for a day or so, and see if it improves, it shouldn't hurt anything. Are there any floating pants in the tank?

How much surface Agitation do you have? It may just be protein layer.

Yes, some of the anacaris isn't planted just floats... I have a HOB filter but it's not what's making any out of the ordinary surface agitation. I'm taking co2 out

What kind of filter do you have? If there is not enough surface agitation because the filter is not strong enough, the CO2 bubbles can just sit on the surface. Make sure you position the diffuser right under your filter so the bubbles get distributed evenly around your tank.
I think it is very unlikely that the bubbles were caused by a sugar yeast mixture getting into the tank.
Have you thought about the possibility that it's just a bubble nest your beta is making?

What kind of filter do you have? If there is not enough surface agitation because the filter is not strong enough, the CO2 bubbles can just sit on the surface. Make sure you position the diffuser right under your filter so the bubbles get distributed evenly around your tank.
I think it is very unlikely that the bubbles were caused by a sugar yeast mixture getting into the tank.
Have you thought about the possibility that it's just a bubble nest your beta is making?

I think you were exactly right.. The bubbles weren't popping.. They had been. I took everything off cleaned it and put fresh yeast/sugar in and it's all better.. Moved the diffuser under filter.. Thanks

I never looked at the photos :Banghead: looks like a bubble nest. Is your beta spending lots of time around it. Im not to experienced with co2 systems but I always thought the bubble were a lot smaller then that...but it is in more than one area so maybe co2..

It's cleared up and they seem happier now.. I literally watched the bubbles from the co2 diffuser come to surface and never pop.. It never has done that before, they usually 90 %dissolve by the time they reach the surface... I put in a new mixture and moved diffused by the filter and it's back to normal thanks

It's cleared up and they seem happier now.. I literally watched the bubbles from the co2 diffuser come to surface and never pop.. It never has done that before, they usually 90 %dissolve by the time they reach the surface... I put in a new mixture and moved diffused by the filter and it's back to normal thanks

Interesting. Maybe that's why I always thought the bubbles were smaller lol

The size of CO2 bubbles will depend on what kind of diffuser you have, how clean it is, and how many bps you have it set at (if using pressurized).

Cool I really need to get a co2 system so I can stop buy excel. So annoying!

I never looked at the photos :Banghead: looks like a bubble nest. Is your beta spending lots of time around it. Im not to experienced with co2 systems but I always thought the bubble were a lot smaller then that...but it is in more than one area so maybe co2..

Back to this lol. How much agitation did you have again?

Back
Top Bottom