What is this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nnoah_won

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,
So a while ago I got some plants at petco. I know two of the three (jungle val and anacharis) and I really want to know what this last plant was. Other than that, the plant looks healthy. It propagates by cutting its stem under the roots. Here is a picture of it to see. These are not the typical tube plants from petco but were actually in a planted tank. They have a pink as well as green color to them. Those that you see are all of the same plant. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402893745.243404.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402893697.969722.jpg

Help! Plant id

What is this plant? I got it at petco, not the one in the tubes but in the tank. They have a pink and green color to them. Btw, those are all the same plant. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402948096.220961.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402948109.282495.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402948039.500068.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402948007.256747.jpg

Looks like strand of rotala, but hard to tell. Leaves seem to be missing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its Alternanthera Reineckii. Requirements are:
Ph- 6.0 to 8.0
Hardness- 3-15 KH
Temp.- 70°- 80°
Light- Medium to high
Co2- Recommended
Mid or background Plant

Was my first thought, but leaves on mine didn't look like that nor green.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I added mine a month ago, and its been one of the roughest plant transitions ive had. Its rooting finally and my new growth looks the same as the OP's pics.

Noah, will get some pics ASAP! I was on one of my AA rampages the day I first responded to this thread, so my participated/email notifications were bombarded by replies! Sorry for the delay!

4575966789.swf

Is it grown aquatic also? Bed cause they were in the petco tanks for a long time and they seemed to be surviving. Not the ones the tubes though

I don't know of anyone who keeps this particular plant long term submersed, which is one reason why I think it's hard to find pictures of it. These kind of plants are not going to die immediately if they are completely submersed, they are adapted to rising and falling water levels. It just seems like instead of putting on new submersed form growth they tend to just wither and die in time.

I have some of the raspberry swirl variant planted in gravel near my pond outside. It does much better in a setting where the bottom of the plant can stay in water, but mine has been fine in the gravel also, with regular watering.

Back
Top Bottom