what is this snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jungle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I see this little snail this morning. I dont know what is it and where it come from.... but it is cute.
p2iq9.jpg

MTS livebearing snail just prob to small when you got it. also hides in the gravel.

Definately a MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail). Beneficial and perfectly plant safe.

I have a ton of the little buggers-- they do a good job slurping up algae, when they come out of hiding in the substrate.

Useful little guys. :)

I have hundreds of these in my tank and was considering upgrading to a 29 gal and getting new substrate to try to get rid of them. Are they really that beneficial? I never noticed them cleaning up any algae. The shells don't vacuum up and after a while they make my black substrate look very messy and...not black.

They clean the substrate and keep it aerated. Both of which are very beneficial in a planted aquarium. They can become a nuisance if you overfeed your aquarium causing them to go into a population explosion. Manual removal along with reduced feedings will generally get their numbers under control.

Back
Top Bottom