What is this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stotts

Aquarium Advice Regular
Mysterious white stuff on the leaf of a plant?
Let me know how I can get rid of it or if that's just okay, thanks! :)

Attachments

• image-4069224291.jpg
    image-4069224291.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2045251996.jpg
    image-2045251996.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 84
Does it rub off or is it hard like a calcium build up? Is it on all plants or just that anubia?

Honestly I've never dealt with it before but over the years I've heard others talk about having hard white calcareous spots on plant leaves. Not sure it if's got to do with calcium or if it's caused from precipitation like when you mix phosphate and iron. That's why I asked if it was on the leaf or if it wiped off.

Laragasiphon major is very efficient in taking up calcium and will deposit it via the leaf surface, where it collects. Not sure if any other plants do this though.

Edit - just thought, I have seen calcium deposits on Egeria densa at work recently.

All plants need calcium for cell structure and other functions, but excess can cause problems, so it stands to reason that in water with high calcium content, excess will be ejected by the plants, perhaps this is happening with your Anubias. Is your water particularly hard?

If this is the case, then your plant is obviously dealing with the problem, but to prevent possible damage, it may be worth mixing some RO water with your regular supply to reduce the calcium levels.... or add more plants, which will take up more calcium.

Was it very rough to the touch? Or soft?

I've never heard of calcium deposits on plants as a consequence of hard water, I know some species will create deposits on themselves like what ppi mentioned but that's not particularly common, and I don't think anubias sp. do it either.

Back
Top Bottom