What is this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think it's some sort of algae, but I'm not totally sure. I have a fairly well-planted tank (anubias, wisteria, anacharis, banana plants, java moss), but this only grows on Jave Ferns and only on the new buds.

I assume this the result of some kind of nutrient deficiency. I'm dosing Flourish and Flourish Trace 2x week. Just today I picked up some Fleet Enema (KH2PO4) and some Nu-Salt (KCL), so dosing phosphate and potassium shouldn't be a problem. I wasn't able to locate any KNO3 locally, so I still need to find a way to dose nitrogen. It looks like I'm gonna have to order it online from Greg Watson. I'm just trying to figure out what causes this and how to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure that once I get all my ferts in order, I should be able to beat most forms of algae.

I have DIY CO2 (~21ppm) going right now, but will be switching over to a pressurized system in about a week or so (waiting on the regulator, manifold, and needle valves)

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - ~10ppm
PH - 7.0
KH - 7dKH

I will also be updating my lighting in the very near future. Right now I'm running a 42W (2x21W) Aqualight. Tank size is 30gal long.

Look like grasping roots to me. Mine is doing it a lot right now also and the "roots" are grabbing the gravel. Nothing to worry about as far as I know. Just let them grow and grab ahold of whatever if you want or put them near something you want them to take ahold of. Mine are grabbing the big rock they are on and the gravel.

Jeez...

I just stripped one plant of it yesterday because I was replanting it into my new project, a 7gal MiniBow and I didn't want to transfer any nasties into the new tank.

Well, at least I know they're healthy plants. :D

Thanks for the replies...

Back
Top Bottom